My trip to California

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I just came back from one week in California! I had the good luck of atending the 2009 Specialized Press Launch (I write for a MTB magazine) and got some cool bike stories to share. It's going to take me a few days to get all my photos organized, but here's a quick one of me with Mike Sinyard, President of Specialized Bicycles:

2649933507_627d77fdda.jpg

Recognize the t-shirt? :mrgreen: We visited the Morgan Hill headquarters, including all the design and research facilities, and you bet I flashed my RRB t-shirt to all the designers! I also got to ride historic trails like the famous Repack descent, and hang out with great mountain bike pioneers like Charlie Kelly and Jacquie Phelan, and the director of the movie Klunkerz, Billy Savage (see klunkerz.com). Stay tuned for more!

Hugo

WOW.....sounds like a fun trip. Many people would kill to ride with all the big boys like that.

You make us all proud! :D

I spent most of the time at Camp Tamarancho in Marin County, but I got to hang out a bit at Morgan Hill and Fairfax.

Hugo

If you're ever in Morgan Hill, try to swing by the Specialized headquarters: they have a mini-museum at the lobby, with several cool mountain and road bikes, along with some concept and custom ones.

"Bigger wheel", adult sized:
2652792462_d3036ae020.jpg

The Dragstripper, including working parachute, metal-flake upholstery, Hurst shift lever and elaborate pinstriping:
2651945471_f0e3a195c1.jpg

Specialized make a mean cruiser, the Fatboy. This one sported the Cobra colors and badges. The fake shift lever comes out and has a bottle cap opener on the end. The barbecue trailer was complete with cooking utensils and a six-pack of beer.
2651936751_5ac0530985.jpg

Life-size Hotwheels!
2651941659_de6d09409f.jpg

Evil-Knievel-tastic!
2651940041_756fc466b6.jpg

The front half of the new 09 Epic. "I was just riding along when all of the sudden... KRAK!"
2651969759_a886a5d983.jpg

More pictures on my Flickr.
Hugo

Every year around June/July all the big mountain bike brands host press launches. Journalists from bike mags around the world get invited to ride the new products, usually at some cool place. I was in the right place at the right time!

After the lobby we got to see the design room, the machine shop, the testing lab, the assembly shop, the suspension shop and the helmet lab (they crashed a helmet for us). Check this out: there's a fireman pole that goes from the design room straight to one of the shops. How cool is that?

Got frames? Cool stuff hung from everywhere.
2652613797_407cd767ca.jpg

Loads of parts and frames tested to destruction.
2653427170_4c5e516f93.jpg

For the fixed gear people, spotted at the assembly shop
2652586307_f760734836.jpg

For the freeride people, the first Demo prototype spotted at the machine shop. It weighed 40 pounds or something like that.
2653419098_8830c87a81.jpg

This thing was high, maybe shoulder high.
2652576943_9210895e38.jpg

The Speed Queen. Check out the grips!
2653396906_b7d548ce48.jpg

I loved "The Dukes of Hazard" when I was a kid.
2652559417_e37faf7a63.jpg

Another Cobra Fatboy. I can't get tired of that rear wheel.
2653374758_7398b8a581.jpg

Next, some old-school klunker action!
Hugo

You rock Hugo. :D

Did anyone inquire about your shirt? :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing these awesome photos...I too am awaiting the Klunker shots.

Yeah...I always kinda figured my logo design would be seen by the president of Specialized on the chest of a guy from Portugal.

How else could it happen?

chimichanga said:
Hugo said:
If you're ever in Morgan Hill, try to swing by the Specialized headquarters: they have a mini-museum at the lobby, with several cool mountain and road bikes, along with some concept and custom ones.

WOOOOOO Fixed Gear! :D

cant call them "hipster bikes" though, at least not with the rear brakes

CCR said:
chimichanga said:
Hugo said:

WOOOOOO Fixed Gear! :D

cant call them "hipster bikes" though, at least not with the rear brakes
True I would ride that around here to knock down some hipsters. :D

Rat Rod said:
Did anyone inquire about your shirt? :mrgreen:
Not really... :( I guess I should have printed a bunch of flyers and pasted them all over the Specialized offices. :) I'll do that when I get to visit the Felt offices :mrgreen: .

I did however told Billy Savage that he should check out our site.

Hugo

This is Mr. Billy Savage. He was one of the original Repack racers and the director of the movie Klunkerz. The bike is a real klunker originally built by Joe Breeze and Charlie Kelly back in the day (if I heard the story right). It's a 1935 frame, with 70's cranks, and motorcycle bars and levers. And a Brooks, of course.

2659756148_a3b067139a.jpg

The Repack was the first time-trial event in mountain bike history, and the prize of the first race was a bag of "smokables" :lol: . Be aware that the best times established back then, with heavy klunkers, still haven't been beat by today's pros with modern equipment!!! :shock: Yeah, the track remains the same. More here: http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=14
...and here: http://www.sonic.net/~ckelly/Seekay/mtbwelcome.htm

One night, there was a showing of the movie Klunkerz. Not only was Billy Savage there, but also many other pioneers of the sport: Mike Sinyard, Joe Breeze, Otis Guy, Jacquie Phelan, Charlie Cunningham... Watching the movie right there on the mountains of Marin, were it all began, was magical. Charlie was telling all kinds of stories earlier that day and he went "this is the road where we went for the first ride into the hills on our town bikes, 40 years ago" - "What, this very same road?! Where I'm standing right now?" - "Yeah, exactly." 8) Apart from the history, the trails around Camp Tamarancho are the sweetest ever: a group of dedicated volunteers worked very hard to build them and keep them open for everyone to enjoy. Cheers to them!

Anyway, you HAVE to see the movie Klunkerz (http://www.klunkerz.com). It tells the story of the early days in such a fun, relaxed way that it will change the way you think of bikes. Lots of great footage, old photos, and awesome stories. Here's the trailer, WATCH THIS MOVIE!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiD8aBmYu_g

Ever heard the story of the huge bike pile that suplied 100 pre-war frames for the building of klunkers in 76? I have! 8)

2659753644_5f99aa0759.jpg

This is Charlie Kelly, the coolest guy ever. You could just walk up to him and he would start telling cool stories non stop. He brought the original Repack timers and notebooks with the times and names of the racers. Mountain bike history, right there in your face! Check out the awesome t-shirt (large size): that's the Morrow Dirt Club, named after the Morrow coaster hub, the must-have hub back then. Another super-cool story is the disappearance of these guys for 20 years: http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=11

2659748408_99496ee324.jpg

Oh yeah, every one got a brand new 25th Anniversary Limited Edition Stumpjumper replica to ride around on, and we did the Repack descent on these. :D Old-school! About half of us suffered pinch flats.

2658934373_16f68bce03.jpg

Original mountain bikers, showing off an original Stumpjumper. The coolest people ever, surrounded by cool bikes, awesome singletrack, great scenery, loads of History, and all the breakfast burritos you could eat. Truly, the trip of a lifetime.

Hugo

Latest posts

Back