Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's my entry for this year. It's going to be naked because my plan is to strip all the paint and polish the alum to a high luster. Bike is a 2000 aluminum Schwinn Panther.

p2.jpg

Tires showed up while I was at the local bike shop picking up some parts.

tyres2.jpg

tyres.jpg

They came from Chain Reaction along with some other critical items. The reviews on these all said they roll fast on the street and this bike will end up being a sort of street clunker. I like the off-roady look.

Time to start taking this sucker apart....finally. This should be fairly simple. The polishing will keep me busy for a while.

Really looking forward to this co-creative awesomeness with all of you!

Plan is to give it a classic clunker look with a modern drive train.

gruppo3.jpg

Last edited:
Tires look cool! Should be a good look on the 'bare cat'.....:bigsmile:
Rat on my brother!

Awesome, a more modern aluminum frame build!! I'm sure that you will make it cool!!

I like your stripped and polished plan.
Diggin the tires too

Thanks Fellas. Wanted to throw those tires out because they were cool and cheap at 17 bux a tire. They came from Chain Reaction in England so I guess technically that makes them tyres.:p

I'm not familiar with that frame. Looks good tho.

Thanks Falstaff. I should have given a little background.

The 1999-2000 Panther SS was a limited, lightweight (23.4 lb), expensive ($570 msrp) single speed cruiser looking bike with mountain bike geometry. I've had the bike for several years and have always wanted to do something cool with it.

Wow, very ambitious idea with the frame polishing. It will look really cool, but I'm glad it's not me doing it! I'm looking forward to seeing this.

Lots of sanding in my road that's for sure. Frame should strip fairly easy but I've got a pair of anodized hoops to get to right away. :(

Had a little problem I needed to get a solution to last night. Carved these parts out of some aluminum.

brake2.jpg

brake3.jpg

Will probably make some nicer ones but these will get me a running prototype.

Got both wheels dis-assembled. Hoping to get spokes ordered tonight.

I think I would have to use a power tool for the ruff in polish & finish off by hand . The polished aluminum looks great that's what I have on my Trek mnt bike .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polished metal, one of my favorite colors. Will be a fun one to watch. What're the aluminum blocks for?

The blocks are for a rear disc brake mount. The end of a sad tale called "Crazy Bob and the u-brake" Wanted to make sure I could tackle that first thing.

I'll post a pic of it in the morning when i get home from work.
2 more days then I'm off for 6. Got a mega drive train upgrade in store for this one as well...:D..gotta get these hoops sanded before I get to any of that though.:(

Disc brakes !!! are you sure that's allowed ??? [emoji109]

:21::21:..I hope so. I wasn't planning on changing the rear brake until I saw how tight the stock tire was in the u-brake. Should be mostly hidden from the drive side.

Front will be a cantilever brake because I hate to look a gift boss in the mouth...:D..but now I'll have to saw the back ones off unless I figure out something I want to mount on them.

I'll post up more of what the plan is on Fri when I'm off.

Thank you fellas....here's the disc mount. The front clamp is a road bike brake lever clamp with an alum spacer then the blocks I made there on the back mount. The usual Flintstoneyness. I'd like to make something that fits behind the drop but that might not be too noticeable on polished alum.

Could have used an adapter but I wanted it on the chain stay so I can route the cable under like the original u-brake...I just hope it's back far enough for the crazy bob.

brake.jpg

Finally figured out how to get a solid axle into a cassette hub. Buy a real cheap loose ball hub and a 10mm axle. Haven't figured out how to do this with a cartridge bearing hub yet.

axle.jpg

Easy pleasy.

hubs.jpg

Back hub will remain black. I've got some Ideas for the front to dress it up a bit. I want to polish the outside and I have a decal I want to try and put in the center.

That's the original front hub...cartridge bearings and a hollow axle..got new nuts on the way too.

Spokes came in the mail today. Can't recommend BMX Guru highly enough for the spokes. Took like 2 days and they always thread up nice.

Time to tackle these hoops. Oven cleaner will be the power tool for those.

Nice work Chad you got a lot going on , on this bike mnt bike style . Should roll smooth & fast on them hubs .

Thank you fellas....here's the disc mount. The front clamp is a road bike brake lever clamp with an alum spacer then the blocks I made there on the back mount. The usual Flintstoneyness. I'd like to make something that fits behind the drop but that might not be too noticeable on polished alum.

Could have used an adapter but I wanted it on the chain stay so I can route the cable under like the original u-brake...I just hope it's back far enough for the crazy bob.

View attachment 23511

Finally figured out how to get a solid axle into a cassette hub. Buy a real cheap loose ball hub and a 10mm axle. Haven't figured out how to do this with a cartridge bearing hub yet.

View attachment 23512

Easy pleasy.

View attachment 23513

Back hub will remain black. I've got some Ideas for the front to dress it up a bit. I want to polish the outside and I have a decal I want to try and put in the center.

That's the original front hub...cartridge bearings and a hollow axle..got new nuts on the way too.

Spokes came in the mail today. Can't recommend BMX Guru highly enough for the spokes. Took like 2 days and they always thread up nice.

Time to tackle these hoops. Oven cleaner will be the power tool for those.
What oven cleaner do you use, I bought a can of high strength dollar store brand. Sprayed my rims, let sit 20 minutes, sprayed off and nothing. Not a single bubble.

What oven cleaner do you use, I bought a can of high strength dollar store brand. Sprayed my rims, let sit 20 minutes, sprayed off and nothing. Not a single bubble.
I had good results in the past with "easy off" brand. The extra stinky original flavor. Pealed off old black paint from a 1950's Rollfast and left some of the original red/white. :)

Nice way to gitRdone on the brake bracket

I used Kroger brand last time and it worked fine. I might go for the Easy Off this time. You might have powder coat on there. Should have done something to paint but I use it to de-anodize.

Nice way to gitRdone on the brake bracket

Thanks Kingfish....hope it works. Need to get the front brake installed before I test it out. The red cap and adjustment knob are driving me crazy though. Might see if I can come up with a more attractive option.

Latest posts

Back