Naughty Newsboy

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmm...
600-fibre.jpg

Part of a balanced bike?

@Captain Awesome, what do you think about the VP Beartraps? Lost my Odysseys for the BMX build:cry:
This is my second set. They are of decent construction and take the abuse. Out of the box though the spindles and bearings are like gravel or over tightened. Takes a bit of effort but they can be made viable

I took mine apart, used emory paper on the spindles for all the rough casting marks, and cleaned/greased all the bearings heavily

I have a set that feel a bit on the tight side. I was just going to gravity feed some 3in1 oil in there and hope that they would loosen up on break in. Think they need the @Captain Awesome treatment?
Hard to say. I just do it because I've always done it. I pretty much rip straight into any set regardless of brand

Got the tires in that I'm going to put on these cleaned up steelies while I rock the coaster. Unfortunately it'll have to wait till I get back from an impromptu work trip

Got these Kenda's from Husky. Should fit the bill nicely for now. Nice low rolling resistance for the bike path and a bit of tread for gravel

s-l640.jpg

Gave the steel wheels a real quick WD-40 and aluminum foil massage to clean up some of the surface rust. Didn't get too involved because some is already through the chrome and starting to lift, plus I figured I could keep some character

Mounted up the tires and realized I'd grabbed presta tubes so had to make due with a couple washers

IMG_20201103_123225999~2.jpg

These Kenda's are only 40psi tires, but they'll do for now on the bike paths

Got these BB adapters all sorted and ground down to fit, but now I have to perform some surgery. The down tube, seat tube, and wishbone tubes all protrude too far into the BB shell and interfere with the bolts that hold the 2 adapter cups together. Time to dremel I guess. Wish I had a finger sander

IMG_20201113_170516133~2.jpg

Likely I'll need to touch up both protrusions in the head tube as well. They just make contact with the steer tube on the fork. Enough to put pressure on the bearings

For now I just wanted to feel accomplished so here's a mock-up (aka Da Groundwork)

IMG_20201113_170006040~2.jpg
IMG_20201113_170018117~2.jpg
IMG_20201113_170035221~2.jpg

Hate how white the fork came out, but I don't care. Might chuck a carbon one on sometime just for the LOL's

Hate how white the fork came out, but I don't care. Might chuck a carbon one on sometime just for the LOL's
Just rub your dirty paws all over it:grin:

Attractive curves, good lookin' bike:cool2:

Had the same tube interference installing the BB adapter on a Huffy. I ground down the alloy cups outside of the frame. The bolts snuck through with minimal tube filing after rotating & finding the best seating position.

Just rub your dirty paws all over it:grin:

Attractive curves, good lookin' bike:cool2:

Had the same tube interference installing the BB adapter on a Huffy. I ground down the alloy cups outside of the frame. The bolts snuck through with minimal tube filing after rotating & finding the best seating position.

I've indexed them in every position. I can get two clear in almost all orientations, but interference on the third no matter what. I "think" I'm going to try and drill between the wishbone and seat tube. It's my first step

I'm liking it Cap. Stance is nice and aggressive, but you're right, that fork is way too white, it's becoming the focus of the build. I'm not a huge fan of faux-tina, but maybe something needs to be done to get it "aged" like the frame

I'm liking it Cap. Stance is nice and aggressive, but you're right, that fork is way too white, it's becoming the focus of the build. I'm not a huge fan of faux-tina, but maybe something needs to be done to get it "aged" like the frame
Time to bust out the Scotch brite and krylon

Well hello old friends. Thanks for joining me here today........

Starting to heal and have a decent amount of mobility in my shoulder. Managed to sneak in a few rides lately without undue harm so I think I'll try and do some tinkering. Maybe bust this thing back out. Probably change up the game plan and make it more of a bike path cruiser. Simple, effective, easy peasy

Well hello old friends. Thanks for joining me here today........

Starting to heal and have a decent amount of mobility in my shoulder. Managed to sneak in a few rides lately without undue harm so I think I'll try and do some tinkering. Maybe bust this thing back out. Probably change up the game plan and make it more of a bike path cruiser. Simple, effective, easy peasy

Hope u doing alright. and nothing wrong with a nice cruiser.

Latest posts

Back