Need SCRAM Parts 3 speed hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, you want expensive? Try helicoil inserts...
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7703092

10.5 could be the height, or the width.
What means 7x1x10.5 here anyway?
Hard to be sure not looking at 7mm...

And another oddball insert:
https://www.amazon.ca/uxcell-Bronze...UTF8&qid=1540030038&sr=1-2&keywords=m10.5+nut

Nah, probably a typo.
Other listings for similar item say m10x1.5
That's a helicoil for a M7 x 1mm thread...insert is 10.5mm long. Which is usually referenced as a 1.5x insert, as in length is 1.5x diameter.

The rivet insert is a M10.5...but doesn't mention pitch...and wouldn't be any help anyway as it is for riveting into plate/billet. :grin:

Think you could pound or JBWeld that suka into
a 12mm nut. Question as you said, is pitch...

RE RG:

I understand the original problem now solved, but I still have a question:

If helicoil of right size does not exist, then what? Can a slightly wrong size
be persuaded to fit? Still gonna need the oddball tap, where to find that?

Almost any metal insert beats toothpicks and school glue, probably...

Last edited:
You can get custom taps made in any size...expensive. If it was truly an oddball nut that just isn't made anymore, then you would find a machinist to make one as they can single-point thread pretty much any diameter/pitch combo. Just be prepared to spend $60+/hour (more like $85+, but you may be able to find a small shop cheaper).

If the pitch is even a little different, you are essentially just stripping the bolt, or nut, or both. Same pitch but slightly different diameter might work...but, the odds of that happening are very slim as its usually going to be standard vs metric...and until you reach 127tpi and .2mm pitch...the two don't meet right on. The M10 x 1mm and a 3/8" x 26tpi (or the very odd 13/32" x 26tpi mentioned above) is about the only near overlap before that.

Jason

Question was shoehorn a standard but slight over-sized coil.
Like abusing m11 or 7/16 coil to fix the aforementioned nut.
Again on somewhat ridiculous assumption that a custom
tap wasn't the bigger issue that it probably is.

Last edited:
The helicoil, tap, and installation tool come as a set. You couldn't use the installation tool on an undersized threaded hole and even if you managed to jerry-rig your own, the coil would bind in the hole. About the only size I've found that gives you an interesting use for helicoils for an unintended need (I assume) is the 1/2" - 20 helicoil. The helicoil tap, in this case, is a 9/16" - 20...and helicoils come in left and right versions. So, if you had a set of 1/2" pedals you wanted to use on a crankset with 9/16" thread...you could install a helicoil on each side without modifying the threads. Very specific case...and the helicoils and installation tools aren't that cheap...but, it could happen :grin:.

Jason

Latest posts

Back