new Huffy split tube? What the heck? (also, working at DSG as a bike tech)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
What in tarnation are these? And do they work?

20200804_175447.jpg
20200804_204104.jpg
20200804_210029.jpg

I saw them at work yesterday, will try to make a long story short:

so I have two sons who work at DSG (I am referring to the big box sporting goods chain that the forum software censors out haha) and for a couple of years now on and off, I have listened to them complain that they don't have a regular bike tech. They have suggested that I apply for a part-time job there. Soooo... I did it. I go in a couple evenings a week after they get truck shipments in and put together whatever bikes come in. Not bad to get paid a few hours a week for doing something I enjoy.

I had that idea as a kid as I changed out/patched a lot of tubes and that got annoying (not just mine, though I blew out my share, I was kind of the neighborhood mechanic). Tried tying the dead ends of one I cut in half to try it, but it didn't hold air under weight and I lacked the determination to try it again. I also figured that if nobody made one, it probably didn't work. If this works, I think it's a great idea to have as a spare to get one home to fix it right. Could be reused that way, too, like the training wheels that come with cars that are just meant to get one to a tire shop (or as some do—use it for months, including going 80 mph with a full load of passengers).

I had that idea as a kid as I changed out/patched a lot of tubes and that got annoying (not just mine, though I blew out my share, I was kind of the neighborhood mechanic). Tried tying the dead ends of one I cut in half to try it, but it didn't hold air under weight and I lacked the determination to try it again. I also figured that if nobody made one, it probably didn't work. If this works, I think it's a great idea to have as a spare to get one home to fix it right. Could be reused that way, too, like the training wheels that come with cars that are just meant to get one to a tire shop (or as some do—use it for months, including going 80 mph with a full load of passengers).
Hey I didn't think of that, but yeah... if it works, it'd make a great spare just to get home and replace it with a "good" tube. Then roll it back up and put it back in the emergency tool kit.

I've done repair-in-place before, specifically on a LandRider, avoiding its funky self-shifting derailleur. The main drawback to this product is the need to destroy the original tube you're replacing. I'd probably end up tying the flat tube around the frame until I got home and patched it. I'm thrifty that way!

My brother once stuffed a tire with grass on a solo ride like 10 miles out in the middle of nowhere. He had forgotten his patch kit that day or blew out the sidewall of his tire or something. He made it home.

I took off my shirt and sliced and twisted it into a bullwhip looking thing and used it in place of a tube. I was about 6 or 7 miles off road on the John Muir mountain bike trail in Wisconsin. Worked great for the most part

I just saw these as well, and have used a few of them in repairs. so far so good, have not seen any problems with them.
PS Welcome to the DSG Tech club. I've been the "the Bike Guy" for 21 years now here in Jersey!

I'm about to jinx myself, but I haven't blown out a tire in about 20 years (the Specialized-Allez-turned-Iver-Johnson-Major-Taylor), which is when I stopped running the road bike near top pressure rating (and since moved to 28s instead of 23s, which comically requires installing them deflated to make it past the brakes). I have gotten several new tubes bad out of the box, but that's better than on the road. Karma for all the patched flats as a kid? What worries me, though is the 1912 Iver Johnson as getting those tires on was the single biggest nightmare I think I ever encountered working on anything, and certainly bikes. If I blow one of those tubes, I might just sell the thing!

As an aside, I've been modifying a sit inside kayak for electric power with remote tilt and, while I've had to change ideas a few times, it's mostly been the easiest thing I've done—all the measurements seem to just be exact numbers, I eyeball stuff then confirm with a ruler and it's been dead on, even hand forming an aluminum stringer to serve to mount the remote tilt (sits between the legs like a fighter plane control stick, pulling up lifts the motor) went pretty easy and lined up with some pre-drilled holes for pad eyes I no longer need! Even that aluminum bar I got at the hardware store was some kind of low temper (didn't say) unlike the usual T6 they have, so it was easy to form. I really hope this holds out for when I build a real boat.

I know they commonly patch the tires without removing the wheel in the Netherlands. However i have never found this convenient. It is just easier to remove the wheel and have full control over what i do, rather then mess with the whole thing lacking comfort and access.

Latest posts

Back