Nexus 3 Speed Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just put on a new wheelset with a Nexus 3 speed. Never had one before. Followed set up so yellow line is in between the 2 yellow marks in second gear on gripshift. Im only getting 2 gears....you can see plunger moving to appropriate spots but seems like its not going into 3rd gear. 2nd gear is pretty high so maybe not getting first. Cant tell....any thoughts?

Last edited:
Check if you have the right length pushing rod inside. There are 3 different length types out there, 2 of which are very common, and the third and longest one is specific for a disc brake model. What you describe is a typical problem when using a shorter pushing rod on a longer axle hub, there is just not enough reach for the rod to switch to the third gear, no matter how you adjust the cable.

Check if you have the right length pushing rod inside. There are 3 different length types out there, 2 of which are very common, and the third and longest one is specific for a disc brake model. What you describe is a typical problem when using a shorter pushing rod on a longer axle hub, there is just not enough reach for the rod to switch to the third gear, no matter how you adjust the cable.
Got it shifting now. I made a new pushrod out of a fiberglass rod I had. Same diameter but shorter. Works great now. All 3 gears...Stock rod was too long for my setup I guess.

Latest posts

Back