Nishiki Competition

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I was given this Nishiki Competition 10 speed for free from my Father-in-law. A neighbor that knows road bikes better than me thinks that it's a rare or custom factory build, and possibly worth much, maybe even as much as $1,000.

I don't know about all that. I plan on hanging onto it for a while, as this frame is HUGE. It fits me well.

It has many cool accessories on it. A nice pump mounted. Generator with front and rear lights, end bar shifters, Dia-Compe parts, and original gumwall tires. My neighbor tells me that he's never seen the word Competition on the frame the way it is on this one. Also, note the unique seat stays that wrap around the top tube and seat tube.
IMG_5456_zpsbspxqktq.jpg

IMG_5457_zpsxgtwc6tj.jpg

IMG_5458_zpsu1ukvldr.jpg

IMG_5459_zpsjpckezby.jpg

IMG_5460_zps41plcupa.jpg

IMG_5461_zpsncgdloqj.jpg

One bad note is that I used water, rags, and a scotchbrite pad to clean the bike up a bit, and I think the scotchbrite pad scratched up the paint a bit. It worked well with the chrome and aluminum parts, but not so well with the paint. I'm hoping some polish will resolve the scratches.

Looks pretty nice probably top of the line in the day . I don't know anything about it though.
That sucks you used the scotch bright bet you won't do that again .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does it have Campy drop outs though? Your bike is built by Kawamura and is definitely high-end from that time period. I had a Nishiki Ultimate frame, BITD. Yours is a pretty rad frame, IMHO.... definitely rare, but the thing about Nishikis i, the demand just isn't there to get a $1000 for a bike like that. The Japanese manufacturers who sold bikes under their own name tend to do much better in today's vintage market than the ones that were sold under the name of a reseller...

I would use "Ice" brand car wax. It dries clear not white so helps hide scratches. Really like the bike and the beautiful paint and decals.:)

I'd junk it and sell me the seat , that would take some of the sting away

Latest posts

Back