Discussion in 'GAS POWERED BIKES' started by PeteMcP, Dec 3, 2017.
Another beautiful build my friend!
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Been playing around with how to cobble-up Build No. 3's exhaust. Pics show a couple of alternatives. Need to indulge in a session or two of 'creative staring' before I settle on a favourite.
Actually, I could even make the tailpipes interchangeable to suit my mood. Either could be easily swapped-out given a common mounting bracket.
I love the fat downturn...bad 'a'...just stay away from speed bumps
Definitely 'fat turndown' ...your bike is fully sick man - I love how the colours are sandwiched between the black forks and rear stays. The headtube looks great the colour it is. Also cool tank decals! Fantastic build, thanks for sharing it!
WORK RESUMES ON BUILD No. 3....
Our impending move to Spain is held-up whilst awaiting for a Deputyship application which will allow my wife's sister to sign-off the house on her behalf. Wife Jen's dementia means she can't do it and the legal folks say there's a risk of too much self interest if I do it on my own. Never saw that coming - but either way, it's added several unexpected weeks to our Spanish relocation plans. All of which means I decided to un-crate Build No. 3 and resume work.
Most of the pics here show how I tackled installation of the 3 x drive chains. Right side pedal chain is fitted with an eBay sourced sprung tensioner. Probably not really necessary, given I'll only ever be using the pedals when applying the coaster brake. Looks cool though.
Left side drive chain is presently fits perfectly so I'll not yet fit a tensioner till the chain stretches a little after putting some miles on this ride.
The primary chain proved a little troublesome. Only one UK supplier could sell me the correct chain which matched the output sprocket on my Gnome Rhone motor. The same supplier couldn't sell me a matching off the shelf sprocket for the jackshaft which fit the chain. However, they did sell me a 1/2" pitch x 3/8" wide sprocket and recommended I machined this down to 3/16" width. I now have the sprocket - but my lathe and tools are packed-up ready for the move, so machining it down to correct width will have to wait till after we're in Spain. For the time being, the pic shows the primary chain wrapped round a jackshaft sprocket with slightly incorrect teeth. You get the idea though. I'll decide later if I can get away with fitting a half link (supplied) to the primary chain or whether a tensioner will be necessary.
Amazingly, all 3 x chains fit perfectly, without any clearance issues at all .... almost like I designed it that way. Ha!!!
Also found time to rig-up a means of securing the front of the rear rack to the bike's frame. I used a pair of chromed Munsen rings - same as the ones I used to suspend the gas tank - threaded onto a pair of turned steel extensions. Worked out nicely. Pic shows these fittings mounted snug under the seat.
Looking forward to seeing a ride video when it's done!
MAKING AN EXTENDED BOTTOM BRACKET AXLE...
Needed to widen the left side of Build No. 3's b/b axle by 30mm to prevent the left side pedal from fouling the engine's crank case. Pics show how I achieved this. I purchased a pair of b/b axles and machined off a 30mm long section from one axle to use as the extension. M8 threaded rod was used to secure the extension to the b/b axle as shown in the pics. This afternoon I'll weld the assembly up solid.
EXTENDED B/B AXLE & TWO MORE CHAIN TENSIONERS INSTALLED...
The freshly welded-up Bottom Bracket Axle is now installed, providing the clearance needed for the left side pedal. After welding-on the axle's 30mm extension, the axle was re-blackened by heating then quenching in oil. First pic below shows the result.
Also fitted chain tensioners to the primary chain and left side drive chain - meaning all three chains are tensioned correctly. Hopefully the pics show how things turned out.
Worth me pointing out I had to machine-down the width of the primary chain's rear sprocket to make it compatible with the 1/2" pitch x 3/16 width primary chain. I had no choice after finding it impossible to obtain a sprocket which matched the Gnome Rhone motor's output sprocket.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Separate names with a comma.