Not a Bike

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
A fiend who is pushing 80 sold out from the North Woods and moved to Florida. He had a big sale but his guns didn't sell. I picked up his Fathers 1940 Remington Model 31 and my hunting buddy picked up his Fathers 1941 Winchester Model 94. His Father played cards and drank at hunting camp so Both guns were not even broken in. We got them at good prices. Here is the Model 31.
IMG_1542.JPG

The real prize was a 1901 Parker Brothers two piper shotgun with fancy wood and steel engraving. It looked like it was new. He offered it to me for $2000, then $1500 but I didn't bite. It was too nice to use and I don't want a wall hanger and I am not a collector. You would have to use hand loads in it anyway. He then drove over to a gun shop to see if they would give him $1400 for it. I don't know if he sold it as the next day he drove to Florida. It was originally brought into the family on a trade. A Cris Craft wood boat for the Parker many years ago. I bet he did sell it as he didn't have room for it in his new Condo.

A fiend who is pushing 80 sold out from the North Woods and moved to Florida. He had a big sale but his guns didn't sell. I picked up his Fathers 1940 Remington Model 31 and my hunting buddy picked up his Fathers 1941 Winchester Model 94. His Father played cards and drank at hunting camp so Both guns were not even broken in. We got them at good prices. Here is the Model 31.View attachment 98145

The real prize was a 1901 Parker Brothers two piper shotgun with fancy wood and steel engraving. It looked like it was new. He offered it to me for $2000, then $1500 but I didn't bite. It was too nice to use and I don't want a wall hanger and I am not a collector. You would have to use hand loads in it anyway. He then drove over to a gun shop to see if they would give him $1400 for it. I don't know if he sold it as the next day he drove to Florida. It was originally brought into the family on a trade. A Cris Craft wood boat for the Parker many years ago. I bet he did sell it as he didn't have room for it in his new Condo.

I'm a sucker for a nice model 94

I'm a sucker for a nice model 94
I saw him today as he came to lunch with us old timers. He flew back from Florida to pick up his last car and will drive back tomorrow. He still has the Parker but is thinking about keeping it instead of selling it at give away prices. My buddy, who bought the Model 94, has another model 94, a 1970 model. His original old 94 was stolen from his camp and he has been looking for another old one.

I saw him today as he came to lunch with us old timers. He flew back from Florida to pick up his last car and will drive back tomorrow. He still has the Parker but is thinking about keeping it instead of selling it at give away prices. My buddy, who bought the Model 94, has another model 94, a 1970 model. His original old 94 was stolen from his camp and he has been looking for another old one.

I am lucky enough to have my pops old 48' and his 64' models. They'll be with me forever and passed down again

I am lucky enough to have my pops old 48' and his 64' models. They'll be with me forever and passed down again

Yeah, I know what you mean about heirloom guns. My son moved to NYC and doesn't hunt, despite being taken out hunting for everything as a youth. My son-in-law will get this Model 31 on Sunday for a birthday present and he knows the family the gun came from and worked for them once so that is pretty good. I don't need more guns. I shot my last deer last November, never again, too much work for a 73 year old. I'll continue to go to Deer camp but will cook, play cards and take saunas. I have to go bird hunting and duck hunting as my son-in-law would be hurt if I didn't go to his hunting camp, but I can live without it. I can't hear the birds flushing anymore and my reactions are so slow that the birds are long gone before I get the gun up. My 12 year old dog won't even hunt with me, he immediately goes with the younger, faster guys when we hunt in groups as they are a lot more fun and get birds. It's hilarious. He got a grouse in a thorn apple thicket last fall, no shots fired. At east I don't have to clean my barrel anymore. I used to be mister quick snap shooter in the alder thickets and really got them. Not any longer. I could not pass up a good deal on this gun though. I like old stuff. This Remington Model 31 is very smooth and I have been shooting it and it doesn't jam. I also bought a 1970s Browning BPS Standard grade with an improved cylinder bore. I'll use that for ducks. It's a nice gun but the safety on a 870 is safer with gloves than the BPS in my opinion. The BPS is far superior to the crap Winchester 870. Everyone I know has one and they all jam, in all gauges. I sent mine into the factory for work as it jams and they said it was fine. It even automatically ejects shells without pumping it and they that all pump shotguns do that and don't worry about it. What a piece of junk. My friends all jam, even the expensive grades. My buddies with Mossbergs don't have problems either. Given a choice I would probably own only model 31s in various gauges and chokes but I'm past needing that. My 74 year old friend has a similar vintage Winchester model 12 and that is nice but I don't like the safety. He has modified the safety to make it better but I still don't like it. I like pumps better than doubles. I started out with an antique 16 gauge single shot that I found in the dump as a kid and killed deer, rabbits, ruff grouse, sharp tails and ducks for ever before I got into better guns. No gun is perfect, some are just better.

Yeah, I know what you mean about heirloom guns. My son moved to NYC and doesn't hunt, despite being taken out hunting for everything as a youth. My son-in-law will get this Model 31 on Sunday for a birthday present and he knows the family the gun came from and worked for them once so that is pretty good. I don't need more guns. I shot my last deer last November, never again, too much work for a 73 year old. I'll continue to go to Deer camp but will cook, play cards and take saunas. I have to go bird hunting and duck hunting as my son-in-law would be hurt if I didn't go to his hunting camp, but I can live without it. I can't hear the birds flushing anymore and my reactions are so slow that the birds are long gone before I get the gun up. My 12 year old dog won't even hunt with me, he immediately goes with the younger, faster guys when we hunt in groups as they are a lot more fun and get birds. It's hilarious. He got a grouse in a thorn apple thicket last fall, no shots fired. At east I don't have to clean my barrel anymore. I used to be mister quick snap shooter in the alder thickets and really got them. Not any longer. I could not pass up a good deal on this gun though. I like old stuff. This Remington Model 31 is very smooth and I have been shooting it and it doesn't jam. I also bought a 1970s Browning BPS Standard grade with an improved cylinder bore. I'll use that for ducks. It's a nice gun but the safety on a 870 is safer with gloves than the BPS in my opinion. The BPS is far superior to the crap Winchester 870. Everyone I know has one and they all jam, in all gauges. I sent mine into the factory for work as it jams and they said it was fine. It even automatically ejects shells without pumping it and they that all pump shotguns do that and don't worry about it. What a piece of junk. My friends all jam, even the expensive grades. My buddies with Mossbergs don't have problems either. Given a choice I would probably own only model 31s in various gauges and chokes but I'm past needing that. My 74 year old friend has a similar vintage Winchester model 12 and that is nice but I don't like the safety. He has modified the safety to make it better but I still don't like it. I like pumps better than doubles. I started out with an antique 16 gauge single shot that I found in the dump as a kid and killed deer, rabbits, ruff grouse, sharp tails and ducks for ever before I got into better guns. No gun is perfect, some are just better.
I took my boy hunting and fishing growing up and they were some of the best times of my life, I loved getting in before sunrise sitting with my son in a blind watching the sun come up and all of nature wake around us. Then my boy also got too busy to hunt or fish anymore but last year after about a dozen years later he bought his son a BB gun and started plinking around with him, then he asked if I still had his youth shotgun and 22 (of course I did) so I gave them back to him then he borrowed my rods. He started teaching my grandson safety, how to shoot, and fish, I was really proud of them. We're planning to go squirrel hunting this year together and a couple trips to the pond, so don't give up because you never know what might spark that desire again.

Latest posts

Back