OCC Stingray Part II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so I had this OCC for about a year, and after the initial mods, did not do too much. I am a pretty big rider (6', 250lbs), so the off-set seatpost bent after a few rides (swapped out the steel offset one with the on you see in the image below - alloy and much stronger). I did not care for how my knees came over the drag bars when I was riding, and realized apes were going to be the only option..... So, after a trip to Chubby's Cruisers in Culver City, added a pair of 20" Sunlite apes, found some grips in the clearance bin, and used some extra cable from the road bike to move the brake handle. Also decided I no longer wanted the center stand, so bobbed that off, and added a rear-mounted kickstand. Overall, I am much happier with the bike now......next up will be to de-lace the rims and go for some paint.....thinking white but open to suggestions?
20141130_092402_zps02e305b6.jpg

Rear-mounted kickstand made things a certain degree lighter......

20141130_092601_zps6fa4aad2.jpg

Not too thriller with the cut-off job.....need to get the grinder out and bob the rest of it off. Note how the chain guard mount was removed in the last round of bobbing.....

20141130_092422_zpsb7034e53.jpg

Very cool custom bobber. I'm a sucker for these bikes and how well and easily they take to customizing.
With the chrome you have on the bike, you might just strip the clear coat on the rims and polish them up a bit. Polished rims, black hubs, stainless spokes, black nipples and some wide whites.
But then again I'd ride it as it sits.

Thanks for the stripped rim idea! Had honestly not thought of that......maybe strip and shine with aluminum polish?

The shims I found on Amazon.com listed as the following:

Problem Solvers 1.8mm Shim, 25.4 Seatpost to 27.2
Problem Solvers 4.6mm Shim, 27.2 Seatpost to 31.8

The slick part was that they were cheap, and enable you to use just about any standard seatpost (and thus, a litany of seat options). Cost for the two was $20, and well worth it. I had a reclined post, but my weight destroyed that post - went with allow and have had no issues since.

Next mods are possible change of the seat cover to a Mexican blanket (re-upholster the pan) and attach a bunch of pesos I just brought back from Mexico (no particular reason, other than I think they will look pretty slick).

Thanks kustomkulturejim. I weight a little more then 165 lbs. Maybe not as heavy as some of the posters in this forum. The thing that I like is the use of just about any seatpost. There is one thing I know about this forum if I ask a question I get an answer. thanks again.

At 165lbs, you should be OK with just about any seatpost......I am 250. The seatpost was OK until I took it off a curb.....then laws of physics took over and the post started to bend slowly.....:cool2:

nice build. did you have issues with the bars moving on you? my handle bars weren't splined and they were all over the place. like the no chain guard look.

Latest posts

Back