Off Road Gearing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im thinking about a motoredbike build, but instead of the (wonderful) board track style Im thinking of more a dirttrack, or off road style.
I did a little bit of search and found nothing.......so, what gearing would be good for low end pull with, say, the typical Grubee Skyhawk 66 and/or carb/exhaust, etc. in this regard?

At 6'1" x 210# Im gonna be enough of a load without hill climbing too! Dirt/Flat track style with maybe some moderate bump climbing ability is what Im thinking. As much as Ive looked at motoredbike stuff this last year there has been precious little in this type of bike, maybe 'cause it doesnt work too well? I think with the big rear sprocket (a 60ishT?) and the typical 10/11 front it should maybe do 20-25mph and have some dig?
IIRC an expansion chamber or short reverse cone meg should give me low end torque. I dont want to have to get way up in RPMs to get power.

I did some off roading with my BTR this summer and was surprised with how well it worked with just a 42 tooth in the back, I have a puch hi-comp head on but everything else is pretty much stock. The trails was some enduro trails with some small climbs, mostly hard pack and sand but it chugged along nicely. Oh and I'm 6.2 / 200

Maybe you should try stock gearing and see how it works before ordering any extra parts?

Nice link!
My inclination was to go just a standard sgl. speed/coaster rear (which I have). I think I get the idea of the jack to the crank sprocket there, but without a multi spd. rear hub its still a sgl. speed but without the 'extra' sprocket/drive chain to the rear wheel, right? It would still fit my needs by my juggling rear hub sprockets just like I would for a pushie.
Plenty elegant though!

The jackshaft/shifter kit woudln't be worth the expense unless you plan to run derailleurs.

Latest posts

Back