Old School Sidecar (Now Trailer) build for Western Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
G'Day,

I though I'd put up some shots of one of my latest projects (I've got a few on the go!). Being in my early 30's with the inevitable expanding waste line it's time to start riding a bike again, because somethings gotta give and I'm not slowing down on the drink! Anyway it's hard for the wife and I to get out on our bikes these days because we've got got two little rug rats. So here's my cunning plan:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

And that's as far as I've got. Next step is to find a wheel and start on the steel under frame....I'd also like to pivot the sidecar off the bike too. I figure this will make it more comfortable for me to ride and also put less stress on the sidecar frame and joints. I might get some shots of it beside my bike today for reference.

Cheers,

Dave

Re: Old School Bicycle Sidecar Build for 1950 Western Flyer

Holy smokes! After seeing your craftsmanship, all of my ideas for a Bonneville Side Car build feel totally inferior.
That thing is beautiful!
The smile on your little girl is priceless!!

Tape and glue! I bet we could mount this on my chariot side carrier frame in 10 minutes... AWSOME

Really cool it has a vintage Zepplin feel to it. Please keep posting, get the girls some crash helmets with olde timey daredevil logos on the sides.

Thanks fellas, here's a couple more shots of it beside the bike this afternoon. I'll have to shake the tree for some coin this week and get me a wheel and some steel for the frame. The trouble is finding parts (like a new wheel) that are either old stock or repo so it doesn't look like a new sidecar. I can't put anodized aluminum on this thing!

19.jpg

20.jpg

Here's a close up of the .... end...The kids have started calling it the rocket ship :D

21.jpg

Cheers,

Dave

OLD 225 said:
Here's a close up of the beep end...

Ahahaha! Funny the forum won't let me say XXX. Where I come from it's a donkey! Anyway, I've said it now...
cheeky-smiley-025.gif

Dave

OK here's my question for the sidecar experts: How far forward of the rear axle can I put my sidecar wheel? I was hoping to have it about 4 inches forward but I may have to go to about 8 inches.

Any thoughts?

Wow that is Awesome! I built a stich and glue canoe I never thought about a sidecar . Are you going to glass it? The rear with tails and pipe are too cool.

Wow, looks great! 8)

From my motorcycle sidecar experience you are fine with the 'chair' wheel forward, maybe even better off (kinda triangulates the footprint).
To counteract the chair weight, and hanging way off the side, you need a fair amount of toe in on that wheel and some lean out on the bike. Your mounts need to be adjustable.
So, for an initial set up and to be reasonably comfortable, give the bike a tad bit of lean out (looking from the rear) and, using string or a long straightedge, toe the chair wheel toward the bike several inches, measured in line with the bike front wheel contact patch. Then test ride on a level lot. Tweak the toe in and lean out to get it to track well, but remember, when you are powering up it WILL pull to the chair side, it has to.

that lil buggy is awesome!!! i have two little girls 3 and 2 they would go nuts if they seen that!!!

That thing looks great!
Keep up the good work, and keep is posted! :D

Very nice Old 225, obviously not your first rodeo working with plywood!! :D Whats that lapstake hull in the background?
Will be watching this
Gizmo

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Peatbog said:
Wow, that is really impressive. Did you build that boat also (in the background in one of the pictures)?

The boat is a 1950's hire boat that I've been slowly bringing back to life over the past 6 or 7 years, among several other projects :roll:

XC204 said:
Wow that is Awesome! I built a stich and glue canoe I never thought about a sidecar . Are you going to glass it? The rear with tails and pipe are too cool.

Sounds like you have more experience with this sort of thing than me then. I've only glassed the inside. I figure that will be strong enough for it to maintain its integrity. The joins will all be epoxied and the outside will be varnished and partially painted.

gcrank1 said:
From my motorcycle sidecar experience you are fine with the 'chair' wheel forward, maybe even better off (kinda triangulates the footprint).
To counteract the chair weight, and hanging way off the side, you need a fair amount of toe in on that wheel and some lean out on the bike. Your mounts need to be adjustable.
So, for an initial set up and to be reasonably comfortable, give the bike a tad bit of lean out (looking from the rear) and, using string or a long straightedge, toe the chair wheel toward the bike several inches, measured in line with the bike front wheel contact patch. Then test ride on a level lot. Tweak the toe in and lean out to get it to track well, but remember, when you are powering up it WILL pull to the chair side, it has to.

Thanks for the input re the chair wheel locaion mate. I guess I'll have to consider the 'scrub factor' when it comes to how far forward to locate it and if/how much toe in. Like most things there's a compromise between weight distribution, ridability and actually being able to pedal against any friction created by the geometry you've mentioned. Unlike a motorbike which can easily overcome these compromises with another horsepower or two! As far as any lean out on the bike, I'm intending to swing the sidecar off the bike on a pivot so the bike can still lean both ways.

heyslugger said:
I wood love to see more of your work!

Slugger, I just threw up some photos of other toys I've wasted my time on at this link:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=51328&p=492000#p492000

Gizmo said:
Very nice Old 225, obviously not your first rodeo working with plywood!! Gizmo

Gizmo, Actually I don't think I've made anything from ply before? This can be my practice run :mrgreen:

My latest problem is I can't find a nice looking steel wheel to match the profile of the wheels on my Flyer. I went to 4 shops today and they all had the same wheel which has 2 depressed beads rolled into the rim. I could use it, but I'd prefer to have an exact match for the bike. I did however manage to pick up the steel for the frame so I should be able to start on that in the next day or so.

Cheers,

Dave

Latest posts

Back