Old shimano, new shimano

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Does anyone know if an old shimano 333 grip shift like this
s-l400 (2).jpg

Will work with a modern shimano 3 speed hub?

Does anyone know if an old shimano 333 grip shift like thisView attachment 70346
Will work with a modern shimano 3 speed hub?
It should. I have never done it myself, but as far as i know shimano 3 gear inner hubs parts were always interchangeable as much as possible. I've heard you can even swap bell-cranks and pushing rods on the older ones and newer ones.

I expect it would work just fine. On a three-speed, the second (or neutral) gear is the only one that needs adjusted spot-on. The other two settings aren't that critical. The vintage shifter would lend a really neat touch on the right build.

I expect it would work just fine. On a three-speed, the second (or neutral) gear is the only one that needs adjusted spot-on. The other two settings aren't that critical. The vintage shifter would lend a really neat touch on the right build.
That's what I'm hoping for, I've got a felt chief coming and I wanted to put a modern 3 speed coaster on it with the grip shift I have.

Concur, I've done it before. Old shimano's all were stuck in high if the shifter or cable was broken, unless you stuck a pebble in the mechanism. The new ones are just the opposite. I've also used the new Nexus shifters on the old shimanos and they work.

Now this thread has me curious to what @Starnger said.. I love the function of the newer nexus hubs, but am not too fond of the clunky bell housing and twist shift.
The old style bell housings aren’t too hard to find. I might have to give the mix n match a go

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back