"Old Soul Young Blood"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_7963.JPG

IMG_7960.JPG

IMG_7941.JPG
IMG_7946.JPG
Thanks for the updates I'll try and fix that it's a pet peeve not being able to import them or post them properly and yea I love my swapmeet stash. Yesterday I threw all of the parts in including a fender I rustified as well as an awesome swirly Q fork attachment I made out of old moped parts, aluminum from lowes and some pliers I LOVE how it came out.

Here's some full bicycle pics of my almost finished project. Loving the way it's going, what I'm waiting on is a new headlight that has a bulb so it will shine brighter and I'll place that in the old holster, as well as a saddle bag and an old hairpin saddle I'll butcher. Let me know your thoughts guys.

Now those are super-sized pics! Really helps to see the detail when they zoom. Your exhaust pipes really look good. Fit the semi-steampunk look of this rig.

I liked the bike when I first saw it on the facebook site, and I like it even more now!
:41:

That is so awesome! A really great rat rod! It's nice to see a burst of ideas come to life like this. A fitting name too:)

IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_7998.JPG
IMG_8001.JPG
I'm working hard before classes start because once they do my free time is really gonna plummet haha. My hairpin saddle came in the mail finally :grin: took forever shipping from china.

When I first got it it wasn't in alignment but with a gentle suggestion from my hammer and prybar it straightened out. It felt super hammocky so I drilled and laced it. I really like the look of butchered seats so I thought wth and butchered it too. I noticed it cut it a little short in terms of edge to lacing but it's not too bad. It's not as comfortable as my skeleton brooks but it's not bad either plus it hasn't even been ridden a mile.

My dilemma now is which to use. I like them both. I'd appreciate any input thanks guys.

You got some cool details going on with this build.

I agree with deven above ^. Rustina the rails and springs on the new saddle and go with it. It fits the oversized look and steam vibe of the bike better than the Brooks. Save the other saddle for your next rat rod bike! ;)

Rat rod bicycles are like Lay's potato chips; you can't build just one! (look up this reference on youtube, old commercial from the '70s, ancient history for you I'm sure! :21: )

Any input on how to Rust the rails and springs. I was thinking sanding and spraying the mixture for natural rust. But getting in all those tight spaces is gonna be hard and it wouldn't look right if it's all patchy with perfect chrome and rust. I'm thinking maybe a coat of rust colored and textured spray paint and maybe some man made scratches and such.

Any input on how to Rust the rails and springs. I was thinking sanding and spraying the mixture for natural rust. But getting in all those tight spaces is gonna be hard and it wouldn't look right if it's all patchy with perfect chrome and rust. I'm thinking maybe a coat of rust colored and textured spray paint and maybe some man made scratches and such.
Goose, my go-to for rustina is Rustoleum Multi-color texture spray paint. It comes in three tones, very dark (almost blackish), darker brown, and a more rusty brown.

I would recommend removing the rail / spring part from your saddle, should be bolted on? Then using sandpaper, scuff up the chromed surfaces. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Then, I would do a coat of Rustoleum gray primer on the rails first. This will give an 'aged' muted look to the rails. Then stand way back and start misting your rails with very sparse coats of the Multi-color texture paint.

When you are all done, use a 3M green scrubbie to 'flatten' the texture to your liking, or leave for a real 'rust feel'.

Here is an example of my wheels for Desert Rat with the progression.
chrometograywheels.jpg

rustywheellook.jpg

The color I used in the example above is the darker of the two browns. I wanted it to be closer to the color of the natural rust on the frame and fenders of the bike.

Last edited:
IMG_8028.JPG
IMG_8027.JPG
I actually went to lowes and saw that paint but then remembered I had some similar tones at home so I went home got some black primer, hammered copper finished and dark red matte and dry brushed it on the seat now it looks so much better

IMG_8023.JPG
IMG_8026.JPG
IMG_8022.JPG
IMG_8019.JPG
Also after looking at my bike I decided that the middle of the frame looks empty so I've been toying with the idea of adding a copper crossbar to add more steampunk haha. So far ideas include a straight horizontal bar similar to old straight bar frames. I would just add some wood under the arch to fill in the gap then weather it so it matches what's already there or I could leave the gap. The other is a slanted crossbar that matches with the frames upward angle as well as continues into the fork leader which looks very slick. I just don't know which to choose or to leave it out completely. Any input?

Last edited:
Please let me know how you "tinted" the headlight lenses yellow. I know it has to be a amber clear but how did you get the paint to stick to glass (and what type of paint). I know how to do candies but never on glass

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk

Please let me know how you "tinted" the headlight lenses yellow. I know it has to be a amber clear but how did you get the paint to stick to glass (and what type of paint). I know how to do candies but never on glass

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6742 using Tapatalk

Hey brother I've actually get that question a lot. I use a spray can called tint it. They usually sell it at micheals or arts and craft stores. It sticks to glass great just make sure you clean it before hand. They have lots of colors but I use sunflower because it creates that vintage amber color. Just a few coats depending on how dark you want it I put between 4-5 coats. It'll haze up as it dries but just hit it with a clear gloss and it'll clear right up and be protected. I tinted my moped light and it's been the same for about 2 years already. I love the stuff.

Last edited:
View attachment 43819 View attachment 43818 I actually went to lowes and saw that paint but then remembered I had some similar tones at home so I went home got some black primer, hammered copper finished and dark red matte and dry brushed it on the seat now it looks so much better
I like the effect you achieved on the springs and rails. Looks old but still fresh.

View attachment 43823 View attachment 43822 View attachment 43821 View attachment 43820 Also after looking at my bike I decided that the middle of the frame looks empty so I've been toying with the idea of adding a copper crossbar to add more steampunk haha. So far ideas include a straight horizontal bar similar to old straight bar frames. I would just add some wood under the arch to fill in the gap then weather it so it matches what's already there or I could leave the gap. The other is a slanted crossbar that matches with the frames upward angle as well as continues into the fork leader which looks very slick. I just don't know which to choose or to leave it out completely. Any input?
I like the first one the second makes it look similar to an Electra Ratrod (see pic).
20170105_130734.jpg
The first one looks more unique, it would look really cool if you could extend it on both sides to meet the drop outs. Just my 2 cents. I'm really digging the look so far, looks like a bike that sat behind a shed for decades.

Latest posts

Back