"Old Soul Young Blood"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the first one the second makes it look similar to an Electra Ratrod (see pic).View attachment 43896The first one looks more unique, it would look really cool if you could extend it on both sides to meet the drop outs. Just my 2 cents. I'm really digging the look so far, looks like a bike that sat behind a shed for decades.

By dropouts did you mean the support bars for the rear tire? I'm a little rusty on some bike terminology

By dropouts did you mean the support bars for the rear tire? I'm a little rusty on some bike terminology
Drop outs are the plates where the rear axle mounts. I was suggesting that you somehow run bars from the central one down to those, here's an example, sort of on a Spaceliner I built.
20160730_124653.jpg
Except yours would be further down.

Got it brother I never thought of that I might fab something up to see how it looks

Last edited:
Have you thought about doing your same paint ageing technique from the seat rails on the front bar and curly loop? Looks great there, I like it would tie the whole bike together even nicer!

+1 ^ ! And, could you be a little more specific about the paint you used for the rails? Was it spray paint applied with a brush or from a can?
Did you mix those paints together, or apply in layers? Thanks. Your technique was really cool, and successful in getting the look you wanted.

I actually have thought about it and I'm going to do it right now it looks too clean to match with the rest of the bike.

Firstly I using green scotch pads to remove the shine from the chrome and give it a brushed aluminum look similar to the fork leader. As far as technique goes I found and old 2 inch paintbrush and chopped the hairs in half using my razor. I then started with a matte black base coat spray. I noticed it worked best when I sprayed directly on the brush. I then hit all the edges, outer curves, and bolts. Anywhere the bike would normally be scratched. The point is for it to look scratchy and beat up so just go to town brushing all those spots mentioned. Move the brush around as much as possible just get the paint on I used varying pressure from light strokes to just mashing the brush into the rails. Whatever works best.

IMG_8337.JPG

Next I looked for a more uniform coat and I used rustoleum hammered finish in a sort of light bronze color. For this layer I sprayed directly onto the rails but do so sparingly you don't want a nice even coat. Just spray enough to where it covers most of the visible metal staying away as much as possible from the black spots. Then grab your same brush and move that paint around as much as possible. Do it quickly because if you wait for it to dry it'll be much harder and stickier. If that happens though just spray some on the brush and throw it on. again use varying brush strokes. I usually wait a couple minutes for the previous coats to dry as well.

IMG_8341.JPG

Lastly get some dark red primer or similar color. I prefer primer because actual rust isn't glossy, lightly spray this onto the same brush. The colors dry fast so don't worry about mixing and if they do so what haha. Anyways this is your lightest coat so spray lightly onto your brush and hit and areas that would likely rust (bolts, straights on rails, curls) what have you. Get creative this technique will prove invaluable in the future and it'll only get better or "worse" as time passes. I didn't clear it because I like the look of the different textures and the varying gloss from The matte and gloss paints. Once it all said and done "finito" you have your old looking new seat.

IMG_8339.JPG

I'll post progress pics into this thread as I paint my fork leader.

Last edited:
Awesome detail in your tutorial! That's a great explanation of the process, and I can't wait to give it a try. Got a perfect candidate for it waiting for this summer's BO - 12 !
Three-font-b-spring-b-font-leather-retro-font-b-saddle-b-font-Rivet-Vintage-font.jpg

I actually have thought about it and I'm going to do it right now it looks too clean to match with the rest of the bike.

Firstly I using green scotch pads to remove the shine from the chrome and give it a brushed aluminum look similar to the fork leader. As far as technique goes I found and old 2 inch paintbrush and chopped the hairs in half using my razor. I then started with a matte black base coat spray. I noticed it worked best when I sprayed directly on the brush. I then hit all the edges, outer curves, and bolts. Anywhere the bike would normally be scratched. The point is for it to look scratchy and beat up so just go to town brushing all those spots mentioned. Move the brush around as much as possible just get the paint on I used varying pressure from light strokes to just mashing the brush into the rails. Whatever works best.

Next I looked for a more uniform coat and I used rustoleum hammered finish in a sort of light bronze color. For this layer I sprayed directly onto the rails but do so sparingly you don't want a nice even coat. Just spray enough to where it covers most of the visible metal staying away as much as possible from the black spots. Then grab your same brush and move that paint around as much as possible. Do it quickly because if you wait for it to dry it'll be much harder and stickier. If that happens though just spray some on the brush and throw it on. again use varying brush strokes. I usually wait a couple minutes for the previous coats to dry as well.

Lastly get some dark red primer or similar color. I prefer primer because actual rust isn't glossy, lightly spray this onto the same brush. The colors dry fast so don't worry about mixing and if they do so what haha. Anyways this is your lightest coat so spray lightly onto your brush and hit and areas that would likely rust (bolts, straights on rails, curls) what have you. Get creative this technique will prove invaluable in the future and it'll only get better or "worse" as time passes. I didn't clear it because I like the look of the different textures and the varying gloss from The matte and gloss paints. Once it all said and done "finito" you have your old looking new seat.

I'll post progress pics into this thread as I paint my fork leader.
Thanks, that is great! Looking forward to seeing it on the fork leader!

How's it going guys sorry I've been MIA but school started so I've been busy. Today I FINALLY got my package from India. My canister style leather saddle bag. I played with some mounting options and finally decided to place it under the top bar and it looks great. I also got artsy fartsy with the pictures but in all honesty I think they look AMAZING. My linseed oil coat dried and the color of the rich rust is beautiful. Sometimes it tricks me because it looks dry and I run my hand along the top but no rust comes off.:eek: Now I'm just waiting on a couple more parts and she'll be done :grin:

Enjoy
IMG_8349.JPG

IMG_8352.JPG

IMG_8361.JPG

IMG_8364.JPG

IMG_8367.JPG

What O.J. said and then some, I love everything you've done with this bike, love the headlight, the patina, the weird Tim Burton-y swirling front end, the bag placement (I may steal on a future build lol). This is a good solid rat, built on a modern frame. I can't wait to see what you have waiting for the finish line.

Great looking bike! I wonder how it would look if you filled in the bottom part of the frame with wood, like you said. Could be really cool.
Anyway it looks great the way it sits.
The forks turned out great, I like that some of the black paint stayed and you rusted around, makes the whole look more interesting. I'm doing a controlled rust of a frame myself right now, and I think I will actually put some black paint on first, then sand most of it off, just to get that same effect.

Latest posts

Back