(orbo) klunk-fast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ok. i'm in. this is my kind of build off! i get to work indoors this time! good thing, its a balmy -9 wind chill outside. this is my starting point.

ive had this old huffy pork chopper frame for over a year now. bout time i did something with it. gonna have to cut up the rear a little, just to get some 26" rims and tires on it. front forks will be replaced. has a lot of rake, but hoping i can make it work. my budget on this bike is 0.

it is a long frame so i hope it works out.

I wonder if you can switch the triple trees around, making the top one the bottom etc.? That would reduce the rake, so would raising the rear end.... awesome idea brother, unchop the chopper.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

well i found some schwinn forks that will barely fit, might have to find smaller cups to get the crown nut on. and a quick question: if i cut out the cross braces, will i have to put some back in more towards the seat tube? will it still be structurally sound without them? thx for any input!
IMG_1440.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

Cutting them out will make the rear end flex and possibly bend. You'll need some kind of support.

I wonder if you can switch the triple trees around, making the top one the bottom etc.? That would reduce the rake, so would raising the rear end.... awesome idea brother, unchop the chopper.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...
unfortunately, they welded them together. i am going to shave about a quarter inch off of the bottom of the steer tube so my forks will fit.

Yea, if you have any hope of putting a 26" wheel on it they'll have to come out.
I don't know if welding some tubing between the seat and chain stays on each side like a race car chassis would help or not.

Yeah I think yer right... Throw a tire on there for the weight and see how it feels. Maybe just a couple gusset plates would do the trick, maybe just one on the chain stays...

Carl.

did an early mock-up, just to look at the stance. i think the rake will be fine. gonna use the bars and neck. they are from a 90's royce union freestyle bike. i have the matching crank and seatpost clamp. may use the seat and post also, well see... old s-7 rims, prob wont use them, hard to find knobbies for them.
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1443.JPG
IMG_1444.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG

You could always go with an old design where a 24" wheel / tire was used in the rear and a 26" in the front. Might give it kind of that gasser off road truck look...
Cannondale did one back in the day...

You could always go with an old design where a 24" wheel / tire was used in the rear and a 26" in the front. Might give it kind of that gasser off road truck look...
Cannondale did one back in the day...
i thought about going that route, but i like the 26" in back. i am, however, going to have to find some straight forks, the curved ones just dont look right to me.

Latest posts

Back