(ORBO) Klunkerbolt -DONE!-

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fork looks cool. Any other pics ??

Bike is looking good. Nice backdrop of the flat irons and longs peak. [emoji106]

Building... riding...

Edit: I see now that you were asking about pics of the fork, Sorry, I just got a wild hair and burned it up. I explain the process down a couple of posts though.

Hey MC, thanks! Yea I have a few more but my internet isn't reliable(using neighbors) so it's a real pain to up-load pictures. This is in Pueblo State Park with the Pueblo Reservoir and Pikes Peak in the background. There are a lot of cool single track trails here.

I got these bars today and put them on this evening. These are keepers. I may cut a couple of inches off the ends though. The Brooks seat is the MOST comfortable seat I've ridden on. However, it's just too dang nice for this rat. This leather covered Sella Italia I pulled off of an old road bike. I may thin some black stain and try to get her a lil darker to match the bike... It took me three attempts and about 15 min to upload this picture.:doh:

ObtgjRr.jpg

Here's another pic from the ride today.

DbsziXQ.jpg

Last edited:
Bike looks good and I like the new addition of the bull-moose bars / stem. I'd leave the saddle dirty as is, looks "aged".. ! :wink1: Fork is cool. Can you explain "flame painting"...? Class is now in session....

Bike looks good and I like the new addition of the bull-moose bars / stem. I'd leave the saddle dirty as is, looks "aged".. ! :wink1: Fork is cool. Can you explain "flame painting"...? Class is now in session....

It looks like he torched it. I like the effect.

That's correct... I wire wheeled the paint off to get to bare metal, then "torched it". Heat rises, so I hung the fork and started gently heating the lower leg until the metal just starts to turn brown, then pull the heat away and watch the blue color come in. Then keep moving up the piece. If it gets over heated the color disappears and you get the grey color... no problem... just wire wheel it and keep going until you get the effect you want. Then clear coat. It's one of the easiest patinas because it's so fast from start to finish, bare metal - heat - clear - done. It took me an hour from start to mounting fork.

That's correct... I wire wheeled the paint off to get to bare metal, then "torched it". Heat rises, so I hung the fork and started gently heating the lower leg until the metal just starts to turn brown, then pull the heat away and watch the blue color come in. Then keep moving up the piece. If it gets over heated the color disappears and you get the grey color... no problem... just wire wheel it and keep going until you get the effect you want. Then clear coat. It's one of the easiest patinas because it's so fast from start to finish, bare metal - heat - clear - done. It took me an hour from start to mounting fork.
Thanks for the info! And "It's one of the easiest patinas because it's so fast from start to finish" fits my modus operandi to a T ! A nice extra touch on the raw / bare metal type build. Perfect for a klunker! :nod:

I'm happy with the scale and fit of these parts on the bike now, everything looks like it fits(with the exception of the seat). I went to my LUBS and found a straight fork, less bulky painted cranks, smaller peddles and downsized the chain ring from a 44 to a 40. I have an old leather road bike seat frame and may try my hand at building a Brooks type seat that won't be as bulky as this one. I'm going to strip and flame paint some of these parts.

yPvb4oO.jpg

I finally got a connection good enough that I could load some pics.

Flame off...

WF0Qt75.jpg

"Flame on."

GKx9vEE.jpg

The steel on the cranks were almost black when I removed the paint, never seen steel that dark. The different steels and thickness give different patinas. The chain ring came out awesome. The camera flashed in these pics, it's hard to see the patina. I'll post pics in the sun later. I may get a different wheel set for this bike. I wasn't going to put much money in this bike. I blame you guys!!! ;)

Last edited:
Awesome! Hope it works!

Luke.

Me too! The only way I can think of to mold the leather into a good shape so it doesn't deform is carve a wooden block for a mold. This may be kind of tricky...

Yeah I wanna try that sometime too.

Carl.

sent from my banana phone...

"Banana phone"?!?!? :21:

I bought a new/used wheel set yesterday for this build, hopefully get it next week.

Ha... I like it. No words just lets the mind wonder, "What's this guy up to?" could be a buck to stretch the leather on... could be a wooden seat... or what else could it be? Hmm.

Sent this one from my laptop, but sometimes I post from my cellphone via Tapatalk. I changed the signature line to, Sent from my banana phone... hope it makes you smile. :)

Carl.

Latest posts

Back