(ORBO) Thorny Zeppelin *Now KLUNKDX*

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finished blasting the Hawthorne frame tonight. I'm ready to start the bodywork on it and get it in primer.

No pics of that, but now onto distractions. I've sorta got a build inside of a build going on for myself. Since the fastback frame is going to be more modern, I wanted a more 'period' ratty bomber. The DX posted up thread is my distraction. Got a fork cut down and fit up for it. Still deciding on a saddle for it. Have knobby tires and bars coming for it. Picking up a 2 speed manual Bendix this weekend, may lace it into this one at some point.

Thinking about doing a bike swap. The more I look at the Hawthorne, the more I get other ideas for it. My heart isn't in building it into a klunker anymore. I'm more excited about the DX at this point. I know the fastback frame is 'cooler', but my mind is changing. I now have a vision for the DX and I'm liking where it's going.

Making progress and changing plans on the DX. The fancy new fork won't work with the old necks I have, which I still don't quite understand... The hardware works perfect, but the neck just won't fit...

Mounted up a set of Wald 898 bars. Some Chinese knobby tires for that sweet old school look. Cleaned up a pair of white grips I had and picked up a Bendix 2 speed manual. I'll have to get some new spokes to lace it up in the S2.

Last night after mounting up the tires, bars and putting the original fork back on.

2 speed set up, the rim is going back to the guy I bought it from. I get to keep everything else. Had it been an S2 and not an S7, I would have offered to buy the whole set. He wanted the rim back, no problem as I don't have anymore middleweight stuff.

Before and after on the grips. Yes not era correct for the frame, but hey they'll work.

Mounted up the grips, shifter and ran the cable. Also installed my vintage ratty B72 Brooks.

Might try cleaning up the rust on the painted wheels. Guess I'll have to come up with a new thread name now... Hope I didn't disappoint too many people putting the Hawthorne off till a later time, but hey this is rat rodding, can't please everybody. :thumbsup:

Separated these two after 62 years of being mated to each other.... Poor old Bendix has had a rough life, it's seen some serious heat at some point. Shell has turned blue. Now shall I keep the rim crusty and just spoke it up like this, try to clean it up or repaint it?

2 speed ready to haul into work tomorrow and get it cleaned up.

Well, I'm always in favor of preserving as much natural patina as possible. In my mind the frame and wheels look so good together that I would just clean and clear....And the original fork fits the whole scheme too. There's nothing faux about KLUNKDX...(both x's are silent) :cool2:

Thanks guys. After I posted that last night I took some 0000 steel wool and MMO to the wheel. I like the way it cleaned up, got the dirt and red rust off.

Funny thing about the paint on the frame. It was covered in black spray paint when I got it. I cleaned it off the best I could and the red you see on most of the frame is actually Schwinn red primer. I will most likely spray clear on the frame as it's got some bare spots and it's completely rust free and I want to keep it that way.

Got the hub pieces all degreased and cleaned. Everything looks good so far, should go back together nicely.

I think I've got some spokes lined up, they're black, but not costing me any money. Just trading :thumbsup:. Looking closer at the front wheel, it's been respoked with thicker spokes, I'll clean it up and leave it be. Spokes won't match front to rear, but who cares? :dontmentionit:

Cleaned rear vs front.

Haven't really done anything on this since I got the Bendix cleaned up. Waiting for spokes to arrive, my plan of getting some from my brother through trade fell through, but he did get me some coming! Need to pull the crank and sprocket out and clean them up, spray the frame with clear or just wax it, clean up the front wheel and come up with something for a headbadge. The badge on it is a Spitfire but it's painted aluminum and completely washed out.

Finally got some time to work on this ol gal. The rear wheel is done, put the guts in it a couple days ago, got it all trued up last night and today. I'm still working on the cable adjustment, it's tricky and precise. Still have some cleanup and fine tuning to do and have only ridden it around the basement, needs a good shakedown ride after all the fine tuning is done.

Hub shined up pretty good.

Sweet cable cover!

The cable 'guide' on the shifter was broken off and missing, had to modify a part I had. Works perfect and is much stonger than the original.

Very rat-isfying indeed! Nice work on the mods.

Got busy with other things and wasn't able to get this one "done" in time. Struggled with adjusting the 2 speed, it wants to slip out of high gear. Not going to ride it in that condition, so it will remain untested until I can get back to it.

Oh well, I had fun anyway. :thumbsup:

Got busy with other things and wasn't able to get this one "done" in time. Struggled with adjusting the 2 speed, it wants to slip out of high gear. Not going to ride it in that condition, so it will remain untested until I can get back to it.

Oh well, I had fun anyway. :thumbsup:
42 hours left... You might get there yet!

Luke.

Latest posts

Back