ORBO2016 The Coaster Mullet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will it klunk HARD?

• Total voters
Modding-up the hub tomorrow; building wheels Wednesday & Thursday. Friday is buildin' day. Gotta decide what tires to run, depending on what clears on Blunt 35 rims; the rear triangle at the chainstays is the limiting factor. Got a whole gaage full of knobbies to try on for size. :grin: Getting the frame back from powder Friday AM... HOPING to have her built by friday night, so i can make the race. Not entirely sure that's realistic, anymore. But, the April 1st deadline for ths buildoff seems totally obtainable....

Rebuilt the coaster today.
index.php

This is a standard Bendix Red Band 2, as-received from a RRB member. (Don't recall who...oops!)
index.php

Took it apart. Really dry in there, with crusted-on grease. Not too thick, but stuck-on pretty good.
index.php

Going to switch some stuff out and add some stuff. For instance, I'm going to switch the basic flanged nutz for some nicer ones, with the captured washers. Of course, I want to use at least one Wald item; this build was lacking anything Wald ("When the best just won't do!"), so i'm rocking the #6003 Coaster Strap. The axle, which may well be older than i am if it's original, will be replaced with a stronger one; Wheels Manufacturing makes a cromo axle in the required 3/8"x24tpi flavor. Let's see, what else, what else? Oh, the standard steel caged bearings will be replaced with freakin' Silicon Ntride (Si3N4) ceramic bearings. I got 50 1/4" balls; I figure i'll need 36 to 38 total. Oh, and more pimpness coming at you, via the stainless-steel Mr.Tick coaster brake arm, which fits Bendix and, apparently, Morrow coaster hubs. It also features a bottle opener.
index.php

I wanted to switch the rear sprocket out, ditching the oem 19t for a new-production Shimano 23t. Turns out (and, after trying to force it on, i kinda re-remembered this), the Shimano would have to be filed down a bit to fit on the Bendix driver. Even the snapring is a wee bit bigger for the Bendix. As my fellow RRBers have been reminding me lately, i have limited time on this build, so i figured "forget that; i'll run the 19t!" I have plenty of chainrings and front sprockets to choose from; i'll sort the gear ratio out later.
index.php

Cleaned everything up, beveled the brake shoes; ready to repack...
index.php

Gonna use the red sauce for this one. Lucas Red'N'Tacky is my go-to for coaster-brake hubs; it has a very high-temp drop-off point, and it lasts a long time between repacks. Plus, the extreme stickiness of the stuff comes in handy when you're converting to loose balls from caged retainer bearings. A lot of bike companies will try to sell you on some high-dollar ceramic-specific grease, but it seems like that's just some snake-oil. Regular grease works fine with ceramic, and these Si3N4 jawns will theoretically spin better and cooler while withstanding higher temperatures than steel bearings. I might not ever need all of that, but i'm pretty much building the most obsessive rear klunker wheel i've ever seen, so....
index.php

Si3N4 balls in the brakeside race. Notice, i left a 1ball-sized gap to allow free spinning; you can see the gap to the left of the brake cone. Don't worry; i slathered plenty more grease on there before i covered all that up with the dust cover, brake arm, and jam-nut.
index.php

Same thing on driveside...
index.php

Greased it up good....
index.php

And the same kinda thing in the driver race...

After that, I of course put the driveside cone and jam-nut on the axle, and tightened it up a bit. Going to save final adjustment for when i'm actually mounting everything. That's all the pics for now; i gotta lace this wheel, right!?
I'll post close-up pics of the rebuilt hub with the new brake-arm installed when i get the wheel built and pics uploaded....

I still have, what, 5 days for this thing? I can do this! (Frame/fork/bars/spider are at the powdercoaters....he says it'll be done Monday....or Tuesday....or maybe Wednesday! OOOOOPS! Better late than never, right? FWIW, i went with RAL6018, which is a shade or two darker than Kawasaki Green, for the bike....
RAL-6018.png

Should end up looking like some kind of Sprite soda tribute bike, although that really wasn't my intention....

Nice! I did make up a 23 tooth shimano cog to fit a bendix. I think I have a 22 and 23. If you want one. I did it for use on my typhoon with og crank but I eventually went with a set of HD chuckz wheels.

Nice....I'm gonna run the 19t with a smaller ring up front, but i appreciate the offer for the bigger bits....

:21::21::21: Wald fender in the avatar pic. $6.84 shipped

PS- I love that Wald even OFFERS those shortie fenders as an aftermarket component, and $7 is just too cheap to pass up. Awesome company; i hope they stay in business a loooooong time.

Me too.... 7 bucks with shipping! Wald 80 fender.

final_zps2zvfemaf.jpg~original

NOS Wald fork from the eighties. Wald handlebars were $11 from Niagra cycle. Lots of Wald on that Huffy.

Updates, kinda....rear wheel is laced, needs to be trued up. Front wheel is well in pieces Ha. Got a call from the powdercoater today while i was working my frame/parts are finished. Picking them up tomorrow. Coming down to the wire here....

Get the frame back? I'm curious how it looks in that color

Yeah, sorry. Frame looks rad; bike is about 75% complete. I've always sucked with deadlines; dropped the ball with this one, too. All i need to do is give the wheels a bit more love, cut the chain to fit, and run the disc brake. Hopefully i'll take a few pics "soon"; the RAL6018 really pops with the yellow nonsense i'm running on this one....

Latest posts

Back