Oxidation removal...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a question regarding this, but first a pic:
2013-04-11211425_zps16c7a482.jpg

...about halfway down - sorry for quality - is a spot where there was a decal, but now there's nothing but the original paint in all its' glory. It's below where the Schwinn decal once was (which you can still see the ghost-image of) .

My question is this: Besides rubbing compound, is there anything else I can use to bring back the shine on the rest of the frame? It's got 35 years of scratches and a few spots here-and-there that are too far gone, but I want to try to bring back what I can.

Is there a way to remove only one layer of paint, taking the oxidation with it, and wax to bring out the shine?

Or, if I keep going back with the compound, will it eventually bring it back?

Thank you to everyone for any help....

Schwinn paint is really durable and shines up well. I would just use some wax. The problem area will probably still be visible but should blend in much better.

BECAREFUL of the white silkscreen/decals. Wax and some cleaners will take those right off.

Thanks, I had a hunch that was it, I just wanted to make sure.

Heh, that's the one thing I have drilled into my head: DON'T GO NEAR THE DECALS!!

rubbing compound is too harsh. Simonize was the old standard. A two part application . One polish to remove the oxidation,and another to protect the paint. Over the years paint has changed,and they use clear coat too. So now a one step product works.

I use Meguiar's Gold Class car wax. It's not reall abrasive & has a super shine! I think you can even get it at walmart. Black bottle, gold label. Try it you'll like it!

I use polishing compound and then Maguire's wax. I've brought back many apparent lost-causes that way. Interesting comments about the decals, because I have on several occasions used the polishing compound to refresh yellowing decals. It maybe different for water slide decals as opposed to silkscreening, though. I just finished up a '73 Varsity for a neighbor where the entire decal had yellowed badly (the whole bike was oxidized). The lettering is now almost back to white, and the yellow haze around the edges of the decal aren't visable anymore.

Latest posts

Back