Painless Vintage headlight upgrade on the cheap!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, a while back I had posted on a slick light upgrade I figured out, but couldnt post pics due to dial-up.
Here it is now, complete with a mini tutorial.
1; pick up a package of these lights, got mine for 9.99 comes complete with batteries, this specific type are designed to stick anywhere, and the on/off switch is part of the lights lens (the smaller circle inside the main lens) thus making this quick and painless, no wiring of cutting slots for switches needed.
one.jpg

2; Take your existing headlight apart, removing all lenses, bulbs wiring and switches. Put them aside, you wont need them anymore (not for this project anyway)
two.jpg

3; Take your new light, and dismantle the outer housing freeing the parts you need.
three.jpg

4; The back side of the new led headlight, there is no battery retainer, so now would be a good time to either use some tape or a rubber band to secure the batteries to the housing if you dont have any styrofoam available for step 5.
four.jpg

5; Take your favourite carving utensil and a peice of foam roughly the same size as the main body of the old headlight, and whittle it down to fill the body of the old headlight. Now, the new led light has 2 plastic tabs on either side that will most likely need to be trimmed down in order for it to fit into the old headlight housing. Remember to test fit frequently, removing small peices of plastic and foam until the new led part fits snugly into the chrome housing of your old headlight.( If you're real lazy, just pour some packing peanuts in there, or stuff it with an old sock, we're merely trying to fill the empty space so that the batteries remain in the holder) ;)
five.jpg

6; Almost there, simply snap the outer trim of your old headlight back on, and you are done!
six.jpg

This specific led light has 2 brightness settings, 1 click for low, 2 clicks for high, 3rd click turns it off. I use the #1 setting for normal night riding (under street lights) and the #2 setting for where there is no ambient lighting (bike trails, dirt roads,..) and visibility is nearly as good as my 30 dollar catseye led light from my lbs!
All the cool factor of a classic headlight body, with the modern ease of wireless, bolt-it-anywhere installation.
Please note, i've made no attempt at waterproofing mine, but doing so would be easy enough, simply put the led housing in a sandwich bag before installing it it the old housing, then trim the excess plastic with an exacto knife. Follow that with a thin bead of silicone caulking around the lens and voila! (you'll have to remove the caulk to change the batteries though)
Hope you enjoy,
Rick

dang i saw one of these lights at walmart tonight! i knew i shoudve picked up!!! very cool conversion and i cant wait to pick one of those lights up and try it for myself!!!

Easy E

Latest posts

Back