Patina, Please!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is a 1947 CWC Road Master that I picked up in 2015. Never officially started a build, but I did make a layback seatpost, and respoked the wheels. That is where it sits now. It has a blackout hub up front, and a chrome plated hub in back. I intend to get a blackout hub on the rear and see if I can find some original paint without getting too aggressive.

When I got it:
001.JPG

As it sits now:
009.JPG

010.JPG
011.JPG

017.JPG
012.JPG

013.JPG

014.JPG
018.JPG

That should be enough pics for now.

Got everything blown apart today. I was surprised at how easy the stem came out. I would have lost that bet.
001.JPG

Scrubbed everything down with a nylon brush and some simple green.
006.JPG

Tried a little 0000 steel wool and wd-40 on the frame.
007.JPG

I didn't see much benefit here, so I washed the frame again with simple green. I am starting to see a little of the original paint and graphics.
008.JPG
009.JPG

Tomorrow, I will wipe the frame down with mineral spirits and try some boiled linseed oil.

...and if it was up to me, I'd quote that old Batman TV series at the end of every episode...
"Don't touch that dial!"

You have a great natural patina look going there hammer. Just rusty enough....:nod:

Hard to beat natural aging , on a old bike that is .... [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha G! Yeah, it's easy to 'accelerate' the aging process. Much harder to slow it down!

Love the looks of these bikes. Those fenders and the drop center rims are some of my favorites for these bikes. Watching this build.
Thanks, the fenders are super straight and the rims are in good shape too. I just need to do a little straightening on some of the fender braces. It did have a long bolt welded into the crank in place of a pedal when I got it, so I had to find a replacement for that.

Have just been doing boring stuff so far. Had to get chain adjusters freed up. Also got some parts for rear hub.
002 (2).JPG

Thanks to kirkpatrick and some ebay dude.
Also laced up my wheels with some dull but not rusty spokes/nipples. Swapped out my shiny hub shell for a ratty blackout version.
009 (2).JPG

012 (2).JPG

First time I laced up wheels without having to read the instructions first!

Latest posts

Back