Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC - feelin' cranky!

I'm sure glad they worked out so well :D

Dr. Tankenstein said:
Thanks again Steve, if I ever get to Minneapolis, I owe you and the FIL a round at Diary Queen! :mrgreen:
That sounds like good and tasty karma :D

hey Dr tank,love the build. Got my own occ project going so much respect. Theres a guy who offers a bolt on extension to the rear of a occ so that u can use a 24x4.25 rim and tire and he also sells the rim and tire. Kinda pricey though but just a thought. Ok so keep up the excellent work. Cheers froggy

froggy,
A nice fat 24" rear would be great,but I'm gonna stick with the stock 20" for now. I've got plans to put 2-3 rear fenders together to form one that's 'cruiser' length. I know that Choppers US sells the rims for $80 and a fender for another $60. I'll probably put that $$$ toward the welding, sandblasting and powdercoating. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the continued positive comments guys!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Re: Phantom of the OCC - front fender Friday!

More Schwinn-y goodness!
Just got the front fender in from forum member 'Majestic_B6'.

Haven't tried mounting it yet, but I set it over my Electra Fatti-O and it's plenty wide enough to cover it. I hope it's still wide enough when I put a wider rim on it :mrgreen:

But anyway, here's his picture of it.

hornettrussrod_zps1de1bde0.jpg

Got some family stuff to do over the weekend, but I'll try to get it on and take some new pics.

Stay tuned....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Dr. Tankenstein said:
More Schwinn-y goodness!
Just got the front fender in from forum member 'Majestic_B6'.
Haven't tried mounting it yet, but I set it over my Electra Fatti-O and it's plenty wide enough to cover it. I hope it's still wide enough when I put a wider rim on it :mrgreen:
But anyway, here's his picture of it. Got some family stuff to do over the weekend, but I'll try to get it on and take some new pics.
Stay tuned....
Cheers,
Dr. T

Hey Doc, I'm sure I ask this for all of us up hear in the Great White North.... Whats that GREEN stuff in the background of that picture of your fender???? Me and my snow shovel are SO jealous!
Gizmo

Re: Phantom of the OCC - last mockup until....

OK, I was able to get a few minutes and install the fender. Well, I got a little carried away and decided to throw on a few more 'secrets'. There's still some cool things swimming in my brain, but here's the 'last' mockup for now.... :mrgreen:

First, decided to go with this 'Schwinn-y' cruiser stem and bars that are more cruiser-like
DSCF3724_zps4ecf40df.jpg

Since there's a glimpse of what's next in that last pic, here it is. 'Phantom' repop tank and chainguard
DSCF3728_zps1d3f2f24.jpg

Here's how the seat will sit
DSCF3726_zps8879122b.jpg

Here's the plan for the rear fender, gonna stick 3 OCCs together for a cruiser length wraparound unit. AND last, but not least, I'm using a 'Phantom' headlight for the tail light! Cool, right?
DSCF3729_zps9b511669.jpg

DSCF3727_zps9033a9f9.jpg

Here's the three-quarters front view
DSCF3725_zpsf99735d4.jpg

and the side view, BTW, that big old tractor headlight is going on it too, I retofitted fitted it with an H7 LED bulb!
DSCF3732_zps85b9006f.jpg

At this point, I'm going underground with this one, don't want to spoil the rest of the cool stuff..... :mrgreen:

Hope you like where I'm headed.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Tank,
I love where this one is headed. This is way cooler than that Cannibal ever could have been.
She's getting close!!!
Love the tailight!

WHOOOOAAA DUDE!!!!!!

I just ran into this build thread, and I am both jealous and seriously impressed.

Going great Doc, epic bike so far, keep up the good work! :wink:

Thanks guys, I'm REALLY liking it so far.

It's hard to believe I started this build 14 months ago and STILL haven't gotten the frame welded.. :roll:

I know, I know.... I'm gonna break it down and start cleaning up the bottom bracket area and do something about the place where the seatstay connects to the seat tube. Anyone know if you can powdercoat over JB Weld?

Cheers,
Dr. T

That's really cool, Doc! :mrgreen:

This build is so cool on so many levels.
I think your pedals will clear the fender too.

DSCF3732_zps85b9006f.jpg

Thanks guys, it's not welded up yet, but the dimensions seem right. I'm not the tallest guy, about 5' 9". The seat looks like it's gonna sit about 28" off the ground, is about 3" less than my inseam, so sitting on it should be comfortable. The center of the seat is about 30" from the end of the crankarms, so I should be able to get full leg extension.

I guess I'll know more once the frame halves are 'glued' together. :mrgreen:

Cheers guys,
Dr. T

Bring it to me, I can put some ugly strong welds on it, but they'll be free. :lol:

Hahahahaaa, thanks for the offer buddy, it's not that I can't find someone to weld it, I've just been too stinkin' busy with work to get two minutes to call anybody! :roll:

Cheers,
Dr. T

Beautiful and creative build Dr. T ....definitely one of my favs here! 8)

Latest posts

Back