Phantom of the OCC - now the Schwinn Black Phantasm

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Phantom of the OCC - last mockup until....

Well, I had picked up a 14G drum brake hub for this bike, BUT ind-chuckz put some Worksman drum brake hubs up for sale at a GREAT price, so what choice did I have? Right?

Here's the front wheel setup.
24" Worksman WIDE clincher rim with HD drum hub and 11G spikes, I mean spokes and a Fatti-O. It's gonna be one beast of a wheel. Gotta clean everything up, probably get the rim sandblasted and do everything in flat black. I'll take some pics along the way and lace it up for practice.
Here's where it sits right now...
DSCF3774_zpsa8746b92.jpg

DSCF3775_zpsc28da3d7.jpg

Stay tuned....

Cheers,
Dr. T

Great front wheel. I love the drum and the spoke dimples in the worksman rim.

That is looking awesome! The Schwinn executives should be taking notes!

Just wanted to thank you for the inspiration to get cutting and painting on my own work in progress.
ims2.jpg

ims3.jpg

Mind you it's nowhere near as cool, but it'll be easier to take on the PATCO train to Philly than my usual stretch... 8)

Nice work BC

No update, just a build name change.

I was inspired by the color the bike will be, existing Schwinn model names and the 1979 horror classic Phantasm by writer/director Don Coscarelli
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079714/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

So there you have it, the Black Phantasm!

Well, back to watching all the Build-Off bikes!

Cheers,
Dr. T

The Black Phantasm is great inspiration for an Anything Goes build.

Hey Tank! Any update on the Phatasm?
Did you ever lace that wide body 3 speed?

Joosh said:
A bit late, but SUBBED!

I didn't find this one till it was nearly a year old myself. Since then I've been gathering parts to build one of my own. It's just one of the coolest ideas I've seen in a long time.

That looks like its going to be very nice. Have you though about making a fiberglass rear fender for it instead of stitching 3 fenders? I think thats the route I am going to go with mine. I dont want to wrap around as far as your mockup does. There is a sweet tutorial in the how to section I was looking at. Mold in a design with that method.

Latest posts

Back