Phat chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So .... I went to buy some rims from a guy and came away with some other parts including a phat chopper frame .
Since I like to polish turds - I took on the challenge .
These things are kind of ugly ... sorry to offend anyone.. but they aren't the prettiest bike in the block .
I'll apologize to anyone who has one and likes it .

But herein lies the reason for most post .
I've got 2 mock ups and am looking for an opinion or multiple opinions on what it will look like in its second life .

Take a peek at the pics - feel free to let me know what you think .
a31e789525a32e66d67d641435017b7b.jpg

9fcc136bda4544c2929199e42b6ef60b.jpg

70ac820e52ea5bb2adeffc10fc710a56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So .... I went to buy some rims from a guy and came away with some other parts including a phat chopper frame .
Since I like to polish turds - I took on the challenge .
These things are kind of ugly ... sorry to offend anyone.. but they aren't the prettiest bike in the block .
I'll apologize to anyone who has one and likes it .

But herein lies the reason for most post .
I've got 2 mock ups and am looking for an opinion or multiple opinions on what it will look like in its second life .

Take a peek at the pics - feel free to let me know what you think .
a31e789525a32e66d67d641435017b7b.jpg

9fcc136bda4544c2929199e42b6ef60b.jpg

70ac820e52ea5bb2adeffc10fc710a56.jpg

17d712ae5c285cae162f6e756e2d79d8.jpg

Also -- I think I'll do a mock up with 24" rims and some felt bricks white walls . And I will post. Pics of that as well.

That is a very strange frame
.. not sure how I feel about it... That said the one where it looks like your using stems as grips is interesting in a positive way... I think space race Jetsons is the only direction could build one... Needs a space liner rack

The stems you are referring to are clip on bars that are meant for a cafe racer motorcycle, I had used them on a previous build and didn't like the result.

And it's a totally strange frame - no question about that !

You're right, that frame is hideous. I think you could improve the looks greatly by adding another non-structural backbone.

The trike idea intrigues me also - but the lack of space for one - seems to win out the follow through in building one .

The thought that it's kind of a girls bike also ran through my thoughts with it .

And yup!! hideous is a good description of them - phat makes a couple of good designs- this isn't one though .

I think going low and level will take some of the ugly out - about a 4" chop on the fork .
And the other thing I found weird was the banana seat is meant for a 20" bike - and looks
Right at home on it - so that will stay on for now .
Just working on getting the fork steer tube to a correct length- the one out of the parts bin is a bit short - so it'll be extended in length - by using an insert/plug and a donor steer tube.
This wouldn't be much of an issue if the 10" headtube wasn't 1" - were it 1 1-8th" I have one that would fit it .
But that is the fun in building these things - finding creative solutions to the problems that arise while building something different .
I've yet to dig out the set of 24" rims to see if I like that look versus the 26 ers .
But the weekend will soon be here .
Once I get the fork sorted out and installed I'll be able to give it a test ride and choose which wheels will work best .

That's a good idea !
Although it's becoming a spare parts build - and there isn't one of those in the parts bins .

But that could be cool - and definitely something to ponder - the Springer might draw the eye away from the weird frame !?!
Lol!!

Defiantly needs more bars crossing here or there to balance out.

*Edit... I really want to like spin the head tube around and get the bottom tube where it belongs.. very peculiar design...
Any idea what it was market for?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back