Please help me with info about what tire sizes mean

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings all, I have a different idea for the build off and want to use the biggest rear tire I can fit. Im going to use a 7 speed rear mtn bike wheel that is 1 inch wide. I have 3 1/4 inches of width available but only 2 1/4 height available from the top of the rim to the frame. Does a 26 x 3 Duro tire mean its 3 inches wide and 3 inches high? please help let me know how big of a tire I can fit. Im thinking a regular 2.125 cruiser tire should fit but Id like to go bigger if I can

3” wide although the inflated width can vary based on rim width and tire manufacture. 26” is suppose to be the inflated diameter but will probably be a little more again based on you rim width. You won’t know for sure until you mount it up or find someone who has one mounted up.

The Duro 26 x 3 is three inches wide. I've used them on a Dyno that worked well.
51108_ef96b3e41d08e3de578176b71b3d0b2a.jpg

I measured my new Wanda 26 x 3 tires that I'm going to use.
DSCI0010.JPG

The diameter is 28 inches. Since a 26" rim like we are using has a diameter of 22 inches, that means the height is about 4 inches from the rim to the top of the tire. I just figure 14 inches of radius, from the axle go 14 inches to see how far the tire goes toward the frame. I measure from the dropout down the chain stay and also the seat stay. Then you'll need a little extra room along with that, making it 14 1/2 inches or so. Same goes for the fork.
So they are probably too tall for your frame.
You'll only have 1/8th inch clearance on either side anyway with only 3 1/4 inches between stays.
So I would go with the smaller tire.

Radius wise from the center of the axle I have 13 1/2 inches of clearance. I will play it safe and go with a standard cruiser tire. Thanks

Latest posts

Back