BO15 Poor Man’s Racycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After kingfish254 asked what was going on yesterday since I haven’t posted in a while I wandered out to the garage messed around for awhile trying to come up with an idea for the tank. As I sat there staring at my latest idea in cardboard trying to convince myself I like it my mind wandered to my $5 Schwinn Traveler. So I wandered out to the barn grabbed it and switched out some parts and now I am staring at the poor mans Racycle. Along with the fenders it could be a neat combination. Not sure I want to give up on the Spaceliner, I love my Spaceliners
A222F6F4-B888-4D82-B260-96FCD83BA8ED.jpeg
A15BCF00-053F-47B9-87B6-90632F6DBD5A.jpeg
A0EEEB5A-B55B-4DB0-9E39-6A8E07251AED.jpeg

After kingfish254 asked what was going on yesterday I wandered out to the garage messed around for awhile trying to come up with an idea for the tank. As I sat there staring at my latest idea in cardboard trying to convince myself I like it my mind wandered to my $5 Schwinn Traveler. So I wandered out to the barn grabbed it and switched out some parts and now I am staring at the pot mans Racycle. Along with the fenders it could be a neat combination. Not sure I want to give up on the Spaceliner, I love my Spaceliners

I dunno man,I also like a Spaceliner, but that Traveller is looking downright rideable!

Also, @Grant check out the crank!
I put a few miles on it as it is and it is a fun bike. Didn’t mention before it’s a two speed. I want to come up with more than throw a couple parts on and call it done. That was the problem with the Spaceliner. I just wasn’t coming up with more.

Unless you have a good parts stash, I think that's the issue for the year. It's tough to find anything, and then you gotta get it delivered too!
On the other hand, I'm a bit of a minimalist, so sometimes it's better like that. I can think of a few times where I liked the bike more about three steps before it had been "finished". But that might be rat rod blasphemy

Glad that I provided a little spark. I like the Racycle idea. Do what makes you happy!!!!

I actually like the guard on there, but it would look fine without it too.

I had one of those for the longest time and never found the right bike for it. BUT I think you have, that looks great with the jumbo sprocket. I really like that combo!

Started the wheelie bar!
957C7457-3CA5-43AB-8E58-C814B812EED2.jpeg

Just kidding, I’m installing curb feelers.
B62AA54E-EED1-4BD5-93DB-3241166CD736.jpeg
3A026855-1D35-4347-B098-3FD167B6D360.jpeg

actually I got the front fender on. The top bracket is temporary. I may flip it around to hide it under the fork, use it to mount a headlight or somehow make it decorative. It depends on how much material is left after the rear fender is done. But for now it is filling the hole in the fender.

Did this today
886057E5-9347-4F02-AF48-308C9003C5B5.jpeg
69B1C13E-0281-410D-A1DD-78DFEEF59162.jpeg
before work. Also finished the brackets for the fenders. I will do some adjustments to it later. It is about time for a quick ride and tear it apart to paint. I am not convinced of the proper color choice yet so it will be off the shelf spray can. If I decide on a color I can redo it later with a better quality product

Im liking Racycle, how about a straight or straighter fork, maybe even a 27" that would level the top tube. No chain guard and some short apes, or a bar without backsweep.

For some reason a downhill top tube really bugs me.

I have a flightliner I keep messing with, gotta be the slowest build Ive ever done.....and its not done.

Months ago I promised my wife to redo both kids bedrooms in July so I had to step away from this project. But I am proud to say that with carpet installed on July 31 I finished the project on time. So today I am back to the bike, going backwards in order to go forward. UPS delivered the tires a couple of days ago. I think I have everything for the bike now.
149740D3-B3E7-4625-BFE7-69227271B543.jpeg

Paint turned out great!
And cool vintage camper project in the background! Did you save the siding, or are you redoing that as well? That is on my bucket list someday. As soon as I drop one of my other 4-5 hobbies I'm into. :21:

Latest posts

Back