Prewar Elgin date/ID

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, I'm looking to date/ID this prewar Elgin I just bought, was sold to me as a cardinal but I don't know how reliable that is.
Ignore the English bars, I bought this from an English airforce base so it's been a little anglified!
These are rare here in England so any info anyone can give me that'd be great!
I have no more pics for now as I haven't collected it yet!
If anyone can also help with any of the missing parts (mostly the fork truss-rod, skiptooth chain & pedals) that'd be ace!!
a1f600a7aacbd3f98fdd2bb46fa9f7e7.jpg
338622cbf858170952394217624600aa.jpg
6a828d67233b300f8ae5572163847dda.jpg

Many thanks, Eddy :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a tough one! Most Elgins were built by Westfield, 1920s-1938. But, they didn't use J in their serial #s during those years. And, if it was originally a balloon tire bike, it'd be 1933 or later. Elgins used that badge through '35-6. -Adam

Thanks, there's a couple of other odd things, it has chrome old style ribbed fender and chrome fork which I've not seen on one of these, also a hub drum brake on the front, could this be a factory upgrade or a replacement pair of wheels? :)

Front wheel rim is correct for period but been rebuilt later with an English sturmey archer hub brake.
Although the tyres are period they are very close to frame & fork making me think it should have 28" wheels!? :-s

I thought that Westfield might have used J serial prefixes in ~1931?
I have what I believe is a K serial prefix ~1932 Westfield-built Mead 28" wheels, with similar chrome forks, (well similar - but a lot less 'dazzling' chrome).
upload_2017-12-13_14-55-44.png

Some signs of a Westfield build are pinned brazed joints, notched seat tube clamp bolt, and a fish-mouth joint at the lower top bar to seat tube.

Latest posts

Back