Prewar Elgin info?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So, I got this bike today and am looking for some info. I posted it in Fresh Finds......Its a really cool rider. Seems Murray made a lot of the Elgin bikes, but I have my doubts on this one. Mainly because the way the frame is made and I do not recall seeing this sprocket before. Its possible that it was swapped out, but thought I would see what you guys think. I am pretty sure the light, seat, grips aren't original, but not sure about the rest. The serial number is a mess like many of the Elgin/Higgins, but this is what it looks like.

MUS-J (Maybe MOS-J)
MOD-502-213

elgin1.jpg

elgin2.jpg

elgin3.jpg

elgin4.jpg

elgin5.jpg

elgin7.jpg

elgin6.jpg

It's murray built. The seatpost lugging is unusual. I would guess that it would be the earliest of the post wars.

This bike was made for Sears by Murray and the serial number corresponds to 1945. Murray completely re-designed and re-engineered their standard frames in 1943 using this unique seat cluster design. The frame was again re-engineered for more cost effective high volume manufacturing shortly after your frame was produced and the lugged seat cluster was discarded in favor of the more common annular ring cluster that responded better to the mechanical electro-forging of the seat stays to the juncture.

The bicycle is badged as an Elgin because the J.C. Higgins branding was not introduced on Sears Bicycles until early 1947.

I have already recorded your bike in my data base with earlier pictures sent to me by another collector. At that time is was substantially the same but had a different seat which was probably original. The basic bike is all correct and original including the chain ring which is a pattern used by Murray during and immediately following the war. I can’t speak to the grips or light for originality as there is no known (to me at least) original picture of one of these bikes and they were not sold or pictured in the standard Sears Consumer catalogs.

I have recorded a couple more of these early bikes, one being a house branded Murray Mercury. By serial number yours is the second oldest I have found to date and is by far the best in condition and originality. As the earliest of postwar models they did not come with a tank or any deluxe accessories but they are (again, at this point in time) rather rare in the hobby and quite significant in the timeline/history of both Murray and Sears.

Thanks for the info. In my limited Murray/Higgins/Sears knowledge, the frame/sprocket looked a little odd to me. I assumed it was original and thanks for the confirmation. I figured maybe another manufacturer was used around this time. The guy I bought the bike offered some information on the bike and was a super guy to talk bikes with. To be honest, this is why I collect and mess around with old bikes. I just like the history. I like to learn about the industry, why things happened at certain times. I like to find the "story" behind the bikes I have.

Thanks again guys....You know, I like this bike alot. It is really a fun cool bike in great condition....but I am not sure if I am hanging on to this one. :?

Latest posts

Back