Prewar find but what is it?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just bought this based on the picture and the price but he doesn't know the brand and it looks to be missing a few things. I'm typically a muscle bike guy but lately been dreaming of a board track racer type build, (flipped bars, maybe a bit of leather, etc). I'm a little outta my league here, what did I buy?
32f4bcd4670343f08a2a6b3aee6c1420.jpg

Last edited:
Will do, plan to get it a week from Monday so it will be few days. Can't wait to see it in person.

Sent from my 0PAJ5 using Tapatalk

Could be a Colson with long wheel base, mid 30's for the year. Post more pics when you get it.
I really appreciate it, looks like you are on the right track with the Colson. Looking forward to seeing the serial number but you pointed me I the right direction. I'm hoping that there won't be any cracks or bends in the frame but I have a backup plan if so.

I had a C. Long Wheelbase frame and fork that I sold last summer to another RRB member. Looked like yours. I really don't know what else it could be?
It has to be a Colson from the pics I've found, not sure of the year but it sounds like there are some resources out there to run the serial number. Hoping for something along these lines...I think this is a '33.
7e5861a22914fbc72f3eda4cda6b64e6.jpg

It has to be a Colson from the pics I've found, not sure of the year but it sounds like there are some resources out there to run the serial number. Hoping for something along these lines...I think this is a '33.
7e5861a22914fbc72f3eda4cda6b64e6.jpg
This frame was introduced in 36 and made until around 39 or so. I'd have to check out my Colson book. The bike first posted in this thread is a 36 or 37, as the tall LWB frame was made for only 2 years.

This frame was introduced in 36 and made until around 39 or so. I'd have to check out my Colson book. The bike first posted in this thread is a 36 or 37, as the tall LWB frame was made for only 2 years.
I love this site, once I think I have it figured out, someone sets me straight [emoji12] . Thanks man!

Could be a Colson with long wheel base, mid 30's for the year. Post more pics when you get it.
Change of plans, brought it home today. No fork, stem, nor handlebars but very cool and the price was right. Serial number is 7858A. I'll be starting the parts hunt shortly, the wife just smiled as she had no knowledge of the purchase. As long as she continues to smile, I figure there is still room for one more [emoji12].
d50916c05eeee4c0aea90d168cfe9978.jpg

Question for you guys, I pulled the seat post and will be going for the low, almost on the rear fender look. I was surprised that the post is smaller on the seat mount end than the part that slides in the frame. Plan was to run the long end as the seat mount and the short end in the frame. Do most guys just grind out the seat clamp to allow for the thicker end of the seat post or am I missing something? I figure I can sleeve the smaller want to adapt to the frame somehow or just go to the machine shop and have them build one in reverse form but was trying to avoid spending the money.

Question for you guys, I pulled the seat post and will be going for the low, almost on the rear fender look. I was surprised that the post is smaller on the seat mount end than the part that slides in the frame. Plan was to run the long end as the seat mount and the short end in the frame. Do most guys just grind out the seat clamp to allow for the thicker end of the seat post or am I missing something? I figure I can sleeve the smaller want to adapt to the frame somehow or just go to the machine shop and have them build one in reverse form but was trying to avoid spending the money.

please don't grind the frame

I can't believe how well the paint is coming back, going to have great patina when it's all said and done. I may just run the seat post to the machine shop in town and have them reverse one. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive.
1be06f14cbd54cd8bd8ac744a65edb75.jpg

I can't believe how well the paint is coming back, going to have great patina when it's all said and done. I may just run the seat post to the machine shop in town and have them reverse one. I wouldn't think it would be too expensive.
1be06f14cbd54cd8bd8ac744a65edb75.jpg
Consider yourself quite lucky as the paint on these Colsons is notorious for not holding up very well. Too bad you weren't able to find the rest of the missing parts. Looks like a great start to a nice project!

Latest posts

Back