Project Chris

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got this three point CNC hub adapter for the rear sprocket. Hopefully this will give me some adjustment for the chain line. And as a bonus, it might serve as a bit of a heat sink for the coaster brake also.
I've never liked the 'spoke sandwich' that comes with the engine kits anyway.
100_3994.jpg

100_3995.JPG

100_3996.jpg

I'm just about ready to move this thread over to the motorized bikes section and get back to build'n.:nod:

Last edited:
The hole pattern is different on the three point adapter, so I laid out the hole centers on my computer and printed it on adhesive paper for a drill pattern. They sell sprockets with the holes made for the adapter, but I already have this one so I thought I'd try this first.
100_4001.jpg

The early indication is that the three point mount will give me enough adjustment for a clear (but tight) chain line. My chain is not long enough to check it completely, but I checked both over and under separately and it looks close. I may have to space the sprocket out with a washer or two and/or move the engine slightly off center. Worst case scenario, I will have to relieve the stays just a little. In any case, I think that I can work with it!

Hard to take pictures of the clearances, but here's a couple.
100_4003.jpg

100_4004.jpg

Another fantastic TRM machine on the way :)
Are you really moving it to the motorized section, or will it continue right here?
Just want to know where to go to keep up...;)

Another fantastic TRM machine on the way :)
Are you really moving it to the motorized section, or will it continue right here?
Just want to know where to go to keep up...;)
Thanks Jaypem, been watching your's too!
I had asked to have it moved there, but it ended up here in the regulars builds (if there is such a thing lol). I'm good with it in either place so I guess this is where it'll stay.:)

I have a pair or two of moped bars if that's the style you're thinking.

Or maybe Clubman style would look good.

Basically I just want low rise and fairly straight. I should be able to make some mountain bike bars work.

Here's an example of some motorcycle bars that I found with a quick google search.
SLIMLINE-RISERS-FLAT-BARS.jpg

Last edited:
Jim,
I've got these old KTM motocross bars.
They're thick walled aluminum, just painted some 'bronze' color.
30" wide, 4.5" rise, 2" pullback.
They have a 1" clamping area that tapers to 3/4" ends.

They're yours if you want them.
10ebcfbed0823d541a722e7c019d9a42.jpg

b5466d532c1b35fcad0ac53f30bce0b2.jpg

55586181cc10bd2363957b30ea131bd2.jpg

8695a6aa220d7686dbb74e3e07c406f5.jpg

f9db8d67c97fa6ca75b2015faf05ea60.jpg

Besides, been meaning to make a trip to Gadsden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim,
I've got these old KTM motocross bars.
They're thick walled aluminum, just painted some 'bronze' color.
30" wide, 4.5" rise, 2" pullback.
They have a 1" clamping area that tapers to 3/4" ends.

They're yours if you want them. Besides, been meaning to make a trip to Gadsden.
Thanks, but the clamp size is 7/8. Apparently that's common for BMX.

Good to see you still plugging away at this. Re-subscribed.

These are 7/8 alloy motorcycle bars. Been thinking about putting something different on this bike if you're interested. That's a really cool stem!

index.php

You can get a better look at the width/rise on the bars in this pic.

index.php

I've finally got my handle bar set-up. I found everything that I needed at the Barber Vintage Festival swap meet this past weekend!

It fit perfectly on the stem that I got from @Rat Rod .
000_0044.jpg

I was hoping for some old weathered aluminum bars but crusty chrome will work just fine!

I finally got a little bit of work done on Chris.
The base inserts for the seat pads have been adapted to accept bolts for the mounting plate & hair pin springs and are scuffed in preparation for gluing on the padding. These are the bases that are used on all of the saddles that I make, but the bolt configuration is different because of the 'one off' mounting plate.

000_0074.jpg

101_3656.JPG

The leather that it's sitting on in the first pictures is from the couch carcass. I'll be cutting the pieces for the seat pads and fitting them next!

Latest posts

Back