Puzzle Bike...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went out garage sailing today...total BUST!!! One place I stopped by, the lady said: "Oh, I just sold an old bike, not 5 minutes ago...It was real old, vintage...Cruiser style..." Well, with that I'd had enough! So I decided to head for home. On the way I thought that I'd stop for a sandwich...Welll...My local Goodwill Store is right accross the street from the Subway I was headed for. Then I noticed that today was one of Goodwill's 50% off days...So I decide to stop in an have a look around. And what should greet me on the way in:

IMG_0172.jpg

Needless to say, as a newbie...I grabbed that bike and made for the check-out!! This is what I found when I got home:

Chain adjusters:
IMG_0182.jpg

Chain Guard:
IMG_0178.jpg

Rear stand:
IMG_0174.jpg

Skip Tooth Sprocket :mrgreen:
IMG_0175.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

Troxel Saddle:
IMG_0180.jpg

Forward bent seat post:
IMG_0177.jpg

I'm gonna see if I can get that horn working...
IMG_0181.jpg

Says on top: "Delta" And on the bottom: "Delta Electric Co. Marion Ind. Made in USA"
IMG_0179.jpg

She has New Departure Model D rear hub...The serial # is hand stamped on the BB: D 51 29 63...
What make and year do y'all think it is...No head badge... :( The original color was blue...The grips look original...I'll post pics of any part you want to look at!! Just ask...Tires are 26 X 2.125...Cool car tire tread...The tubes hold air! I took her for a ride this afternoon! 8) Almost got broadsided by a hipster... :lol: I'll tell that story later...

Cool! I wish I found that, I need a stand like that pretty desperately. :lol: Neat find!

great score! I believe it is a 1920s-1930s Elgin!

Relative length to height, full guard, seat post clamp, or MAYBE you scratchbuilt it to make me look goofy! (lotta work, you could have just asked around. :lol: )

deorman said:
Relative length to height, full guard, seat post clamp, or MAYBE you scratchbuilt it to make me look goofy! (lotta work, you could have just asked around. :lol: )
Nope! Walked up to Goodwill and there she was! btw...the tubes hold air (for the most part) and I took her for a ride yesterday, and I almost got T-Boned by a Hipster! :lol:

Great bike!

I don't think it's a ruse. It has the little white goodwill price tags on the seat. If it wasn't genuine, I would think a big conspicuous price tag would have been fabricated.

After a little more research I'm fairly certain it's an Elgin! :D Maybe a "Swallow" (thx dumpster_diver!) Now to pin down the year...S/N is D 51 29 63
I wondered why there was all these holes in the rear fender:

IMG_0183.jpg

IMG_0184.jpg

Well as it turns out a string was woven through them as a skirt guard! 8) And...I think that the fenders are stainless steel!
THANKS again 'yall!! :mrgreen:

The rear fender had laces that went down to the rear axel. I am not sure how they atached at the axel, but there is no doubt that that is what they are for. They kept womans skirts from getting caught in the wheels and hubs. BTW that is a very cool find.

Good find, Karfer could probably ID that chainguard for you :D

Thanks everybody! I'm kinda humbled to have her...As she's pretty much all there. Now I've got to nail down the year and then decide what to do with her...Besides ride! Prolly a restore as much as I can...

thats awesome! i wish i could have found that at MY goodwill store! how much was it?

On the advice of my counsel-Markm I decline to divulge that information... :lol: Teaser: IT WAS 50% off day!!

Yup, I agree with everybody else...it's an Elgin. Hey, if you part that out, I want the rear drop stand and hardware. I got stuff to trade!

Dan

Latest posts

Back