RRBBO13 Q U O I S E

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ratted, leather covered butt pads for the sit bones?

Ratted, leather covered butt pads for the sit bones?
As a matter fact, yes! I actually took the leather out of the bucks this afternoon.

I soaked some leather two days ago and pressed them in the forms. They dry fairly slow while everything is clamped together but I opened them up today after lunch and set them in the sun. It didn't take long in some July direct sunlight to bake them dry.:whew:
100_5546.JPG

100_5552.JPG

100_5550.JPG

100_5554.JPG

Decided to stress test the saddle when this happened.:mad: Oops!

100_5547.JPG

Charlie warned me when he welded it that he was concerned that being such a small plug he didn't think the weld would be very strong. He was right. I should've listened, now I get to take it back and do it right. Maybe the hidden welds were not such a good idea after all.:doh:
I'm just glad that it happened now and not after it was finished and shipped to the new owner!

Ouch. But like you said, much better to happen now and fix it before paint or on an actual ride.

Only minor progress today, but the small jobs have to get done too.
The kickstand needed an extra dogleg in it to clear the drop out extension on the frame. So a couple of strategic bends were in order.
Screen Shot 2018-07-05 at 7.38.34 PM.jpg

The bike is completely disassembled again for the umpteenth time (ready for a trip back to the welder) so I couldn't get a picture of it in the down position. Here's the up position.
100_5555.jpg

The saddle stand is repaired and plenty strong now. I don't know why I thought that hiding the weld would look any better than this anyway.
100_5556.jpg

100_5557.jpg

While I was there, I made this little piece and had it welded on also. :bandit::39::)
100_5558.jpg

The small piece that I made for the inside of the dropout yesterday was just to raise the surface level with the original dropout so that I could create a slot for the brake arm bolt. It hit half on and half off of the two levels.
To make the slot I drilled a line of holes, cut them out and used a small flat file to smooth it out.

100_5560.jpg

I had to decide how the slot would line up with rest of the bike. My first thought was to have it run parallel with the axel slot but in the end I chose to have it follow the centerline of the chain stay. It just seemed to flow with the frame better that way. Funny how some of these small things turn into big decisions when the time comes to commit to one thing over another.:bigsmile:

100_5559.jpg

Here's a quick test fit with the brake arm.
100_5563.jpg

100_5564.jpg

Looks familiar, like I've seen that before ?

Looks familiar, like I've seen that before ?
Yeah, I typically like to hide the switch under the tank. Usually I will mount it farther back past the top tubes but because of the shifter taking up space I put it in the best available spot without any interference.

I finally got around to mounting the whitewall tires to have a look and to check the kickstand with the correct tires.

100_5569.jpg

A few days ago I experimented with 'aging' the whitewalls on the 24" Kenda with some rubbing compound. The left side is after and the right is before.

IMG_0039.jpg

I figured that if it was a total failure it would be cheaper to replace than the Jerald Slick. It turned out fine but I haven't taken the time on the Jerold yet, I wanted to go ahead and see them on the bike. I have to take it back off of the wheel anyway so I'll do it later.

100_5570.JPG

I finally got around to mounting the whitewall tires to have a look and to check the kickstand with the correct tires.

View attachment 79549

A few days ago I experimented with 'aging' the whitewalls on the 24" Kenda with some rubbing compound. The left side is after and the right is before.

View attachment 79551

I figured that if it was a total failure it would be cheaper to replace than the Jerald Slick. It turned out fine but I haven't taken the time on the Jerold yet, I wanted to go ahead and see them on the bike. I have to take it back off of the wheel anyway so I'll do it later.

View attachment 79550

I needs me one of them thar Jerald slicks !
Got a link ?

Latest posts

Back