questions about 67 Stingray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this about 15 years ago, before I knew anything about bikes at all (beginner's luck?). My buddy's 13-year-old son literally found it at the curb on trash day! Talk about a survivor. He was bright enough to grab it and it was on their porch when I asked about it. None of us knew the value, I offered 30 bucks and we were all happy.
The first pic is how I got it, except it did have the seat post with a bmx seat on it. It also had Murray raised center rims? (Stamped M.O.) Would that be typical? The chrome is great, but they're bent something awful, I have them off for now. No chainguard which leads to my major question: Is this a junior? Short handlebars, etc. From hub to hub it measures 34 inches, which is shorter than the '69 spray bomb victim I just got (That one needs ID too, later). I've read (here I think) that the frame size changed at that time so I've been wondering. It's a December '67 and a January '69 so not too far apart.
Any pics out there of the correct guard?
I'd like to restore it correctly, the paint is worse than it looks, better after it was polished. I set it up as shown so my kid could ride it (took the pic before the pedals were back on, I guess). He learned to ride on it, after miserable times with bmx bikes. Took right off lol.

20160620_173934.jpg
20170927_140728.jpg

Yes that is a junior size frame , the larger size frame would sport the mag style chain ring ,
I believe I have a chainguard lime the one you need for yours , here is a pic of the one you need .

Also it would have had Schwinn wheels , not Murray

64deluxestingray.jpg

Ok, thanks! Yeah I'd like to look the chainguard you have, let me know how you do sales and stuff on here.

Is the bike in your pic an original setup? The seat is really cool. Obviously I've got some searching (and saving) to do! Not sure how far I'll go with it, but the guard is necessary...

So were there different setups within the juniors, it doesn't look like mine had chrome on the forks and the handlebars have the different angle at the top? Did they all have fenders?

Ok, thanks! Yeah I'd like to look the chainguard you have, let me know how you do sales and stuff on here.

Is the bike in your pic an original setup? The seat is really cool. Obviously I've got some searching (and saving) to do! Not sure how far I'll go with it, but the guard is necessary...

So were there different setups within the juniors, it doesn't look like mine had chrome on the forks and the handlebars have the different angle at the top? Did they all have fenders?

Some had fenders some without
The deluxe model would've had fenders.

Latest posts

Back