Rat Rod Junior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
This 24" J.C. Higgins has been sitting behind my shop for the last two years and it's time to do something with it.

Higgins_zpsutnkkmmt.jpg

I plan to build a true rat out of it and have it ready in time to show at the Get-A-Grip show in just a couple of weeks. This should make a very cool bike for a rat rodding kid and it will be for sale at the show.;)

Cool bike and cool plan

Looks like another week and it would have been a pile of dust , lol
Looks like a cool start .
:21:
I'm placing all of my bets on oxalic acid.

I've never used it, so it will be a learning experience. Any tips from the pros would be appreciated and welcomed!

I've used oxalic acid and it works great. Most of the old paint stayed but all the rust was gone. Just make sure you put enough acid in the water or it takes forever for it to work.

It put up a good fight, but I got most of it apart and only had to cut three bolts. I found a couple of issues also, but I'll deal with them later.

100_4734.jpg

The weather outlook looks favorable for getting this thing in an OA bath tomorrow.

Try to submerge the part entirely while soaking, otherwise acids tend to leave a nasty parting line where they break the surface. Something like a kiddie wading pool is probably deep enough to treat the whole frame at once.

For sale? Ha! A bike built by TRM is worthy of a raffle.

Try to submerge the part entirely while soaking, otherwise acids tend to leave a nasty parting line where they break the surface. Something like a kiddie wading pool is probably deep enough to treat the whole frame at once.
What ratio do you mix per gallon? Getting things ready to do this today.

It probably doesn't need more than a tablespoon or so per gallon. The strength of the solution will depend on both the amount used and the purity of your granules. Start slow...you can always add more.

I mixed it a little weaker, better safe than sorry. It ended up using roughly 18 gallons of water and I added 12 tablespoons of OA. (2 teaspoons per gallon)
100_4739.jpg

Last edited:
If it starts to "snow" in your solution you are too cold. That precipitation is your acid dropping out of suspension and rechrystalizing. It will also do that with extremely hard water or hard water "damage" on the frame. Think that stuff that collects in your wheel wells or the crusty water damage on old fixtures. Calcium magnesium and lyme.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

If it starts to "snow" in your solution you are too cold. That precipitation is your acid dropping out of suspension and rechrystalizing.
So can you reverse that by raising the temperature again? Thanks!
giphy.gif

Joel the science guy!:nerd:

Latest posts

Back