Rat Rod Junior

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sadly, I haven’t touched that project in a long time.
Still need to get the courage up to do the tank and chainguard graphics
aca2f306fda90ea1406fac459fae3249.jpg

I did find the the water slide decal for the JC Higgins shadowed script on eBay....only $90 shipped....[emoji849]
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/111917128505

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Decision time!

I finished everything yesterday and tried a few sets of bars. My initial thoughts from the beginning was to keep the original bars but it turned out that they are bent to much to keep. I dug into my stash and found a couple of suitably sized bars that are not shaped like the original but are the right look for this little cruiser. One set is totally brown from rust (keeping with the ratty theme) and the other is worn but decent chrome that goes well with the new chrome wheels. Also just for fun I put a set of apes on it for a hot rod look. I've never been a fan of ape hangers but it does work well with this bike and also makes it ridable (barely) for a bigger kid like me!

I have my preference but I thought it would be good to get some outside opinions since I'll be offering this up for sale this coming Saturday! What do you think?
100_4782.JPG
100_4783.JPG
100_4784.JPG

I have a 24" Western Flyer...and it is shocking how small these bikes are :) ... I'd sport the apes not only for the visual appeal, but to widen the audience of perspective buyers. It may convince some borderline adults that they could be comfy on it :D. Just have the other bars and pics available if anybody wants to get it for an actual kid.

Jason

The patina on the first ones make it look like they are original to the bike. But the second pair helps even out the shinyness of the wheels. I guess my answer is either pair would look good.

TRM, what was your impression of oxalic acid, I noticed that it still gets rusty.
It works great as long as the temperature doesn't drop too far. Would probably work better in the summer. I'm thinking that you could leave it longer if you're wanting all of the rust gone but this was the look that I was shooting for.

I like all 3 bar options... so I'm no help.

If it were me selling it, I'd leave the apes on and have the others with me to show in case a buyer preferred them. I'd even consider selling with the apes and one of the others (buyers choice) so the buyer then has the option to swap back and forth as they choose. Convince them they're getting 'two styles of bike for the price of one'.

Glen.

Here's another option. These are slightly warped but hey it's a rat bike right?

They are shorter and wider than the shiny apes.
100_4787.jpg

...And a couple of garage door shots. :)
100_4788.jpg

100_4790.jpg

Well, in the end I decided to go with the rusty cruiser bars. The apes do have an attitude that I like, but I also like the original survivor look. I will throw in the apes with the bike if the next owner wants them. I feel like it will have a broader appeal with the cruiser bars.

I really love how it turned out. If my kids were younger this would not be for sale!
100_4833.jpg
100_4842.jpg

Latest posts

Back