RAT / ROD MODEL KIT BASH CHALLENGE

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1945. OG baby boomer. :thumbsup:
My uncle was born in 1945 on VE Day, he always said it was his contribution to ending the war. I miss him a lot. Cancer :/

Those balsa wood models are cool. I've never made one, are they light enough to fly?
They come with a heavy duty rubber band and an oversize plastic propeller. There are also instructions on the plan to build a scale propeller. People used to fly them with .029 glow motors and instructions to mount this motor used to be on the plans, but not now. Now the plans say the mounting hardware and glow motor are no longer available. My plans do mention that you can use an electric motor. Since the stick frame is covered in tissue paper I would think that a covering of thin balsa sheets would be necessary if you were going to use a motor. I had several glow motors when I was a kid and did put them in a few of these models. I don’t remember flying them. I do remember building a big balsa covered one with a 2.5 foot wing span. It was too big for my .049 motor and would only taxi.

1945. OG baby boomer. :thumbsup:
My uncle was born in 1945 on VE Day, he always said it was his contribution to ending the war. I miss him a lot. Cancer :/

Those balsa wood models are cool. I've never made one, are they light enough to fly?
1945 is too old to be boomer, the boomer generation started in 1946. I guess 1945 is the nonexistent generation. When I was born my father was in the Army Air Force and the telegram informing him of my birth took awhile to catch up with him. He thought I was born on the day he got the telegram and didn’t realize my true birth day for quite awhile.

1945 is too old to be boomer, the boomer generation started in 1946. I guess 1945 is the nonexistent generation. When I was born my father was in the Army Air Force and the telegram informing him of my birth took awhile to catch up with him. He thought I was born on the day he got the telegram and didn’t realize my true birth day for quite awhile.
Generations are nebulous concepts rather than hard and fast deadlines. There's only a line because you have to put a line somewhere.
Having all of your formative years in post war society would make you a boomer for sociological purposes.

With the possibile exception that you might have subconscious baby memories of the jubilation of the war ending.
Maybe having your first year still under the gloom of the war means you're slightly less entitled than the rest of the generation :21:

And always hunting for the white whale
O
View attachment 143188
Same price as the regular ones. You just had to be lucky.
How about this bulsa P-38 model. Sure isn't $.075 anymore.
20201103_131605.jpg

I was born in '63. Just about the end of the boomers. I was still a kid when the rest of them where hippies. By the time I was a teen we were stuck with Disco. LOL

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Generations are nebulous concepts rather than hard and fast deadlines. There's only a line because you have to put a line somewhere.
Having all of your formative years in post war society would make you a boomer for sociological purposes.

With the possibile exception that you might have subconscious baby memories of the jubilation of the war ending.
Maybe having your first year still under the gloom of the war means you're slightly less entitled than the rest of the generation :21:
I never really fit in with those a year or two younger, never got onto the hippy scene, I felt like the hippy's older brother. Gals would ridicule my short hair. Things changed fast after 1966, but I was stuck in 1963. I think all those that graduated 62 - 64 were pretty much in the same boat, not identifying with the older folks and not accepting the hippy nonsense. We did feel a little lost and tended to stick with those our own age or a little older and only felt comfortable with non hippy younger folks.

I never really fit in with those a year or two younger, never got onto the hippy scene, I felt like the hippy's older brother. Gals would ridicule my short hair. Things changed fast after 1966, but I was stuck in 1963. I think all those that graduated 62 - 64 were pretty much in the same boat, not identifying with the older folks and not accepting the hippy nonsense. We did feel a little lost and tended to stick with those our own age or a little older and only felt comfortable with non hippy younger folks.
This is the experience of all generational cupspers. I have many things that are more in common with gen-Xers than my millennial brethren. But many things that divides me from them too.

I had that foam P-38! Won it with Skee Ball tickets. Ended up with about a roll of tape holding it together to keep it going. I later had one of those 5' or whatever foam planes, too. A friend lived on a second floor with a large yard and we used to throw it from the back porch along with all kinds of weird paper airplanes we made from a book I had. That big foam thing would really cruise!

My sisters are early Millennial, but seem a lot more Gen-X. I think these labels make too many assumptions about innate personality as I don't believe the character of individuals has changed much since . . . we lost tails, maybe. The different environment one grows up in also has an effect on the collective and I think that's where it has any meaning at all. In other words, I don't think laziness, for instance, is a generational trait, but comfort zones might be as well as a general outlook (eg., Gen-X is more cynical and distrusting of authority than the Greatest Generation largely due to the failures and lies of leadership becoming more widely known in the Information Age as well as long-kicked cans finally coming to permanent rest). I wonder if generations will start to be further broken down to a lesser number of years as the increasing rate of technological progress essentially compresses time via an increase in the rate of change to the environment into which one is born. Perhaps, it should be broken down into shorter increments already.

My late grandfather remembered the end of WW1. He didn't know what it was about at the time, only the strange sight of multiple airplanes dropping ticker tape. He was 5 then and he'd end up fighting in the second one. In his case, Greatest Generation was apt.

I had that foam P-38! Won it with Skee Ball tickets. Ended up with about a roll of tape holding it together to keep it going. I later had one of those 5' or whatever foam planes, too. A friend lived on a second floor with a large yard and we used to throw it from the back porch along with all kinds of weird paper airplanes we made from a book I had. That big foam thing would really cruise!

My sisters are early Millennial, but seem a lot more Gen-X. I think these labels make too many assumptions about innate personality as I don't believe the character of individuals has changed much since . . . we lost tails, maybe. The different environment one grows up in also has an effect on the collective and I think that's where it has any meaning at all. In other words, I don't think laziness, for instance, is a generational trait, but comfort zones might be as well as a general outlook (eg., Gen-X is more cynical and distrusting of authority than the Greatest Generation largely due to the failures and lies of leadership becoming more widely known in the Information Age as well as long-kicked cans finally coming to permanent rest). I wonder if generations will start to be further broken down to a lesser number of years as the increasing rate of technological progress essentially compresses time via an increase in the rate of change to the environment into which one is born. Perhaps, it should be broken down into shorter increments already.

My late grandfather remembered the end of WW1. He didn't know what it was about at the time, only the strange sight of multiple airplanes dropping ticker tape. He was 5 then and he'd end up fighting in the second one. In his case, Greatest Generation was apt.
You're a smart cat, duchess.

For both keeping your valuable foam p38 flying with tape for as long as possible and for your thoughts on where generational generalizations can be helpful and where they can't.

Super glue non gel works better than wood model airplane glue. I got some yesterday when I went to town for physical therapy. It dries so fast that you don’t have to pin the stringers. Today I finished putting the stringers on the fuselage.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
The whole frame is like working with eggshells with 1/16 balsa struts. So far I haven’t crushed any of it when pushing parts together. This usually happens and I end out rebuilding part of the frame. Parts can even break when you are assembling it. The parts that always break on the finished model are the flimsy bulsa landing struts. I’m making them from birch paint stir sticks. They will be covered in epoxy with a layer of shiny magazine cover paper laminated on the large flat surfaces.
image.jpg

Latest posts

Back