Ratimus Prime * class II

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a love hate relationship with this frame. It was the frame I dip painted a couple years ago, but I couldn't live with the pink so I stripped it. This one is also in such poor shape. Bent and full of holes, with some sad repair welds and some extra frame work I added a while back... So I'm starting with the paint job, a primer fade.

c68084eb9b066b95e18cddad04490ef7.jpg
936a66def7c695ec32701fd88f3f8287.jpg

Carl

Last edited:
Also looking for a proper 3 speed shifter...

Guitarl rhymes with Carl.

Love the primer fade! And I'm sensing a 'triple entendre' with the name....prim-ate (ape hanger bars)...prim-er (sweet paint fade)....and pushing for an opti-mally prime voting finish~!

I vaguely remember that double rear drop out... but don't remember what the aim was. I'm guessing since the finish is done, the extra drop outs stay, so I'm interested in seeing what happens!
Well...
I've laced an old SA 3 speed hub onto a patina'd 26" rim with a 2.3" tire, so that'll go on the back taking care of the rear wheel being larger than the front...

Carl.

Do the 2 dropouts line up for a 26 and a 20 wheel? Looks like a fun build.
Clear over primer works just fine if youre considering paint changes. Ive cleared over that red brown primer and it turns a decent maroon "most" of the time.

Do the 2 dropouts line up for a 26 and a 20 wheel? Looks like a fun build.
Clear over primer works just fine if youre considering paint changes. Ive cleared over that red brown primer and it turns a decent maroon "most" of the time.
The chain line for the original dropouts with the 20" are fine. But the added drops to fit the 26" don't line up well, it looks like there is a section of frame in the way. I went for the height/ stance and the brake bridge lining up. I'll either use a tensioner to bend my chain line or I'll move a bit of frame... we'll see... I'll probably stay with the flat rat look but the little apes will most likely disappear.

Carl. ;)

The good news is that you have an extra dropout available in the perfect location to attach an idler sprocket.
I think the bottom half of the chain line may actually work. But the top half looks like it goes thru the frame. First, I'm just going to have to see if I can get it to work as is, and if it won't I'll see why... but I am so busy right now I'm stealing minutes just to play on my computer...

Carl.

I tried to get a shot of the chain line... Best I can do is this side shot, but imagine an idler gear behind that nut on the backside of the wide part of the frame. That's what I did. Crazy, but it works. I do need to remove the guard, I'm running a single speed chain and there's not much room. To complicate things the BB is twisted a bit...
78e3686177dbbc2c9dc7af97de306328.jpg

So I've got this going's in my head...
There was a crooked man who rode a crooked mile, he had a crooked bike and he smiled a crooked smile.

Carl.

It looks like you did a slight bend on the forks(?)....You're making another bike, I can't stop staring at.

It looks like you did a slight bend on the forks(?)....You're making another bike, I can't stop staring at.
Haha! I've been doing KOTA bends since before I knew who KOTA was... Soon we'll probably be sporting big bars... maybe underslung from the bottom like I did on ALiEN FiRE.

Carl.

The Kota style bent forks have been set aside for now. I've got a nice set of chrome landing gear that needed very little filing inside the bottom to get the underslung stem in there. Here's a vague picture.
KIMG1467.JPG

I've also been sorting thru chain rings to find the best look and help the chain line up better. The larger one bolted to the smaller with no spacers may be the ticket.
KIMG1466.JPG

Carl.

Worked on my bars, Tha stance and attitude of my bike today.
8f2d2b5fb142c2f4f5f67962bdddcdee.jpg

Let's see if we can see the idler...
74432f1429f19d6efe038fb7fdedadeb.jpg
052adf5597cf1520b0f83faad077dd79.jpg

I tried my fork spacer under the bottom crown but it lifted the frame a bit too much. I don't want to cut the fork down just yet so it has the spacer on top.
5d62096c002622437072dfd337854212.jpg

Found some funky bmx grips...
977fd987635b8a9835b684e30eb28750.jpg

And a killer ding ding...
8fa8a0dbd1c71100abed6741f9dd4b0a.jpg

She's a bit stout in third now so no need for a bigger chainring. But I still need a shifter and brakes. Check out the SA hub laced to the ratty rim with red nipples and 26x2.3 treads.
77597c89e930caf42dac3c15578f5b55.jpg

Carl.

Last edited:
As if anyone was curious...
Yep I stole the bars from ALiEN FiRE, but I redid it's look a bit too.
06bbea3b6d2ef1fd0fe9b51bf5898032.jpg

With the bars from Cyclodelic, which in turn became Ratimus Prime...
1. I can't leave anything alone.
2. Working in a budget.

Carl.

Latest posts

Back