Rats-Coot

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I haven't built a bike in a long time. Two reasons, I'm getting "older", and time. I seem to have less time, since I retired. That's probably because I'm going slower now. I got rid of about 99% of my bicycle parts stash.... I RIDE more than ever (Electra Townie 21D), and because I HATE walking, I ride scooters also. You'd be surprised how much distance you can do with one of these. They're great in a city or a crowded bike path, where you have to go slow or stop quickly. You can also get a great workout. They're perfect for someone that likes to run, but the joint impact is to painful. In Europe they are very popular and they have sanctioned races with hundreds of participants.
Anyways, time for some fun!...I bought a Footbike (brand) Express about 5 years ago. It's an entry level scoot, and I kept changing things around on it. Two years ago I decided to really change it, but things didn't work out the way I wanted them to, so off to the cellar, and in the corner it went. Last week when I was cleaning out everything, I came across all the pieces, and a leftover bent fork. Soooo, I decided to change things up and finish this. My object is to make a "mean looking" scooter (if that's even possible).
I'm a month behind. But I don't have to deal with chains, chain guard, or chain ring, seat or seat post, pedals, cranks or any of that other "stuff" between the wheels.
For a scooter that's going to be used for miles at a time, the optimum height for the footboard is around 2.5"-3.0". The lower the footboard the less you have to bend your standing leg while propelling yourself with the kicking leg. The Footbike Express was about 4.5". Lowering it by 2" doesn't sound like much, but it makes a huge difference in comfort and stamina.
The stock Footbike came with a 28" front wheel and an 18" rear wheel. I wanted to put a 26" wheel in the front, and a 20" in the back. So I fabricated dropouts, tacked them in place, but never got them to work the way I wanted (lost interest). They were pulled off, I'll try them again and if they work I'll use them. The name, well any day now my grandkids will start referring to me as "the old coot"..they could be already.....So, after two years in the planning..:blush:

A few of years ago, I did this mock up with a MTB fork and cardboard dropouts...Foot board was still going to be at 4". Dropouts were made, but I could not get the wheel (hub was to wide) to sit the way I wanted. Besides a suspension fork would take away to much energy when you started kicking. And with the frame being 2" diameter, getting the footboard down to 2.5" just wasn't going to happen.
2929f024-8efe-4f4c-9bad-f51dd0eee8e1_zps2f19004b.jpg

These are the dropouts I made., but never got them to work right.
db3471db-aac5-440a-9693-7dee3f696c57_zps9420ca54.jpg

This is what it looked like stock.
ea9ac825-1f61-4d88-8c4e-0ac5a47825b6_zpsabfa2193.jpg

This is how I want it to sit in the end. In this pic the frame is sitting right on the ground. The dropouts are attached to the rear axle and not the scooter.
009_zps597bc91e.jpg

010_zps53eb040d.jpg

Very cool! I know what you mean about deck height being important, I build one of these style scooters for my brother in law, and had to do some working out to get the deck low enough but with enough clearance and strength...

Watching, love the build so far!

Luke.

Great to have you back Kota!!!!
This is gonna be fun.

Hi Larry! Welcome back! I missed seeing your works of art be built! Can't wait to see more of this scoot!

The signature KOTA fork. ;)
That's one of the early ones, that hid behind the workbench, out of fear, that someday it might be used on a scooter.

Last edited:
That's one of the early ones, that hid behind the workbench, out of fear, that someday it might be used on a scooter.
Don't you just hate it when they hide like that and just when you thought you got them all one pops up out of no where. Then you realize it is just what you need for what you are doing just now..... :D

Thanks for the kind words, it feels good to work on SOMETHING!

I'm going to have to do some kind of half-butt jig set up. This is approximately where the down tube will be cut. I'll reuse the chainstays...Wait a minute I can't call them CHAINSTAYS! So, I'll reuse the back wheel holding thingies.

006_zps9943d74b.jpg

007_zpse1d04362.jpg

Last edited:
Yo I'm so excited to see ya name in a build off. You always were an inspiration to me. Welcome back brother now...GTB!! (I've waited years to say that to you) peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_0001_zpsfe8d10c3.jpg

I let forum member PeterBuilt, who lives close by, know that I needed some tubing to make the new frame section for my build. Shortly afterwards he showed up with the above bike. Now PeterBuilt is a really nice guy, but I could tell that he didn't want to part with it. I'm not sure, but maybe this bike had some kind of sentimental value for him. He kind of walked away with his head hung low......Now, I'm no "monster", I do have a heart! So I decided first thing in the morning..I'm returning the bike to him....Is he ever gonna be HAPPY
IMG_0003_zps93a44a11.jpg

IMG_0003_zps93a44a11.jpg

Looks good??? Hahaha :rofl:

Seriously though, I can't wait to see what you come up with!

IMG_0001_zpsfe8d10c3.jpg

I let forum member PeterBuilt, who lives close by, know that I needed some tubing to make the new frame section for my build. Shortly afterwards he showed up with the above bike. Now PeterBuilt is a really nice guy, but I could tell that he didn't want to part with it. I'm not sure, but maybe this bike had some kind of sentimental value for him. He kind of walked away with his head hung low......Now, I'm no "monster", I do have a heart! So I decided first thing in the morning..I'm returning the bike to him....Is he ever gonna be HAPPY
IMG_0003_zps93a44a11.jpg
You're all heart you old softy! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back