RaTsberry Buffet ....What's cookin' ?....pg 9

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah dual rear brakes would be nice:
e4a0114b469520cc638f0daafa9c7c00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears that they are controlled by separate levers, instead of a lever controlling a front brake it will control a rear brake.
57bc5130c8701d2911f66be373784ab1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White seat is ok if that's what you want...
Black seat looks more like a Muscle Bike.
That frame is crying out for dual rear brakes too. I've seen it done before and it looks the best on one of those Spaceliners.

Carl.
(see following post for black seat update) It has the brake brace in the frame for another cantilever. But, the fender mount hole also goes through that brace and is currently occupied by the screw holding the fender on.

Maybe when I put the bike back together again, I'll see about mounting options for the fender. Also not sure if I want all that housing / cabling flying around the front end / handlebars.

Last edited:
The downfall is you can't pick the bike up by the seat rail behind the seat, because the suspension pulls apart. I haven't brainstormed any ideas to fix that, let me know if you have one!
I have an idea for you. You could use some old shift cable and using crimp collars, put a loop in each end, make the cable long enough to go from the seat bolt to one of the holes at the bottom of the sissy bar. Also make one loop large enough to equal the travel of your springs. The reason for the one long loop, it will allow the spring to compress without have to worry if there is room in the tube for the cable to compress. Put the seat bolt through one loop, run it through the bar and attach the bottom loop to a screw/bolt through one of your bottom holes and you now have a limiter.

If this makes no sense, I could draw a quick sketch explaining it better.

I have a bunch of these and could send you some. You would have to make sure they are crimped tight and possibly use multiples to lift the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012SZSM1S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Woah. Not what I was thinking at all! Never seen a lever like that! I was just thinking of some type of cable splitter close to the brakes

Well OJ I'll be running dual brakes on mine and I'm planning on using a section of "two into one" cabling from a BMX front end that allows the rider to spin the front end around without tangling up the cables. I haven't messed with it yet.
gryo-two-into-one051.jpg

But I'm hoping to flip it to one cable running to the back then splitting into two. I believe It's doable I just haven't looked into the details yet.

Carl.

Last edited:
... a section of "two into one" cabling from a BMX front end that allows the rider to spin the front end around without tangling up the cables. .
Technical terms:
The rotor doohickey is called a gyro. Not sure what the cable thingamajig is called.

I completely understand your idea @Psychographic , and it's a good one! While everything is apart, this is the perfect opportunity to do it!

Thanks!

Last edited:
Me too, I'm guessing one of these?

View attachment 107518
You mean, like this one?
20191020_153548.jpg

I bought this in my first round of parts order, just in case I could add the second brake.

My modern brake caliper is much beefier than the originals were, just pressed steel, this one is heavy cast aluminum; thicker and heavier. So the clearances are tight. I am def going to pursue this idea though. And now is the time to do it!

Last edited:
Technical terms:
The rotor doohickey is called a gyro. Not sure what the cable thingamajig is called.
The cable harness is called either a lower or upper cable, depending on where it is used.

Another option would be to use a cable pull for cantilever brakes to split the cable.
200px-Cantilever_brake.jpeg

One goes in, two come out.

So, we brought new meaning to the phrase 'smoked chrome' in the BACK40 this afternoon....

20191020_154939.jpg

20191020_152247.jpg

Really fun day experimenting with Dupli-Color products. It will be interesting to see how the 'look' has changed after today's projects.

20191020_133750.jpg

20191020_170455.jpg

20191020_170447.jpg

Dupli-Color is the best rattle can out there in my opinion. Do you warm your cans before spraying? I warm mine in the sink under hot water. Heat, shake, heat, shake and go paint. It flows so much better hot.
I'm going to try that split cable with one lever on my brakes, but I'm a ways off till I get to that.

Carl.

Dupli-Color is the best rattle can out there in my opinion. Do you warm your cans before spraying? I warm mine in the sink under hot water. Heat, shake, heat, shake and go paint. It flows so much better hot.
I'm going to try that split cable with one lever on my brakes, but I'm a ways off till I get to that.

Carl.
This was my second experience with the Dupli-Color, and a good one again. I have used your warmed can method, especially during these Fall build-offs when temps are lower during the day. Works well.

The split cable will be interesting. Mechanically it should work fine, but the physics might be off unless somehow you get the length of the cables to be exactly the same. I know when it's used in the standard format, two hooked to the gyro pulling one from the brake, it's still critical to get the length adjusted just right at the gyro so it pulls evenly.

In my case, I will have two separate cables from one lever, so I will be able to adjust the tension on each one individually based on the pull distribution by the dual lever. I've never used this set up before either, so it will be an interesting challenge.

Latest posts

Back