Rattle can clear coat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I hope this isn't an old thread. Have you sprayed your rusty crusty bike with faded paint with just a can of clear coat from a rattle can ? If so, did you scuff it with a scotch bright pad or what? Were you pleased with the results ? Would you have done something different to achieve a different result ? Lets see 'em. :39:

For me, I clean the frame/fork with dawn dish soap and water then rinse clean and dry.
Then put a light coat of oil on with a clean lint free cloth. It doesn't take much, if you put it on to thick it takes a long time to dry.

The can of oil I have says to keep used rags in a metal container, I soak them in water after I'm done.

I found an engine lacquer - that thing suppose to stay on raw steel engines to protect it from rust, dust and dirt... My project is a raw steel frame - no rust on it - dont know how would it be on a rusty bikes.
I'll let you know in about six months if working ;)

I found an engine lacquer - that thing suppose to stay on raw steel engines to protect it from rust, dust and dirt... My project is a raw steel frame - no rust on it - dont know how would it be on a rusty bikes.
I'll let you know in about six months if working ;)
I bought some matte clear for my rusty Packard but these guys are saying linseed oil I might try that

Sent from my LG-LS995 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for your response. I have read and seen some results with the oil, it seems to preserve what's left of the paint. But, has anyone sprayed clear over the oil application? I guess the results would be similar to what the "Gas Monkey Garage" has done to their Ford truck on an earlier episode?:39:

clear works great imo
sand the rough rust pitting to make it smoother
clean it with sos lightly
rince and absorbe untill cloth show almost no rust stain
heavy clear coat, sand smooth , clear again
DSCN6051_zps1rvtyqdb.jpg

DSCN6348_zpslyumtjdq.jpg

this was rattle can 'car rims' clear

On paint I'm not sure, but for bare metal, here is an example. First, after wirebrushing and sanding, then cleaning with solvent, 2 coats of clear:

2ih9q51.jpg

Then, about one year later, and a couple configuration changes, it looked gray instead of shiny bare metal:

n62whw.jpg

Thanks everyone for your response. I have read and seen some results with the oil, it seems to preserve what's left of the paint. But, has anyone sprayed clear over the oil application? I guess the results would be similar to what the "Gas Monkey Garage" has done to their Ford truck on an earlier episode?:39:
I'm thinking paint wouldn't stick to the oil, but I've never tried.

I use it on a brush to paint over exposed metal on the frame.

Latest posts

Back