Re: The Great Space Coaster 6/15 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 5/14

Thanks for all the kind words and support....
raggedjim....
The zipties aren't permanent, but they are great for mocking up.....
dragnusa.....
Yeah I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I'd like to incorporate the head tube somehow and the bottom tube would add structural integrity but would take away from the lines....
I'm stepping back before I cut anything....
kingfish254....
I'm happy you saw this one, I've liked how you interact with everyone around here, and I've loved your builds as well...
I'm not sure if my Hindu goddess will make it on the bike, but she might.....

Now to share my thought on the Banana Seat...
I realized I had a full size Vista banana seat that needed recovering... I got it for free so I thought it'd be better to use, the longer the better....

PICT4751.jpg

PICT4752.jpg

Then I thought Even Cooler a back rest... I have an OCC seat I'd taken apart and was switching over to a regular post, I wasn't using the back portion, so I might incorporate that as well....

PICT4753.jpg

Blacked out...
PICT4754.jpg

PICT4755.jpg

I think it won't be too hard... Someone last year shortened a banana seat, cutting it and riveting.... I figure I'll do the same, but cut and rivet more than one together to make it longer....
Thanks again....

Yes that was the one I was talking about from last year...
Thanks yoothgeye... I really liked that build last year....

kingfish254 said:
One of my favorite builds from last year was Scooby Snack.
Smoop made one of the most INCREDIBLE banana seats ever!!!
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=40611&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=snack&start=165

I like your thinking WHO!!!!

Thanks.... I couldn't dream to do the seat he did.... I mean bow down and all hail Smoop....
I confess I was so bummed out I missed last years deadline for the Build Off i missed voting as well....
( Derelict of Civil Duty... ) but Scooby Snack would have had one of my votes....

I like the way the lines of this are going to flow. It is kinda like a Spaceliner version of one of the old Huffy tandems (see my pic below).
tandem.jpg

I agree that maybe you should cut the ladies downtube out as well as the ladies headtube, then curve those ladies twin to tubes to flow into the men's top seatstays near the seat.
Whichever way you figure out this one, I know it is going to be killer.

There are about 20 pages of homebuilt longtails here thay might give you some ideas. (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.ph ... -xtracycle)

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 5/21

Well this past week was crazy as far as my schedule.... working different hours than normal and overtime...
Plus wanting to spend time with my boys... ( Older one is in the middle of Finals Week and making up assignments he'd not completed ).... Went and took them to see Avengers yesterday, Great Movie , We loved it...
Anyhow did get Some work done....
Stripped down the Persons, Vista banana seat to bare metal and soaked it in vinegar for a couple of days.... it had some surface rust in between the metal layers but not too bad.....
I'm not feeling ready to cut the frame just yet, so I figured I'd work on the seat... It needs to be done sometime, Right.?.?.?
A little cutting here... a little banging there... some drilling and such........

PICT4756.jpg

PICT4757.jpg

PICT4758.jpg

PICT4763.jpg

PICT4759.jpg

The last picture is an ides as how I might set the seat on the bike....
I'd been working on making an OCC seat fit on a regular seat post....
I cut off the massive seatpost attached, and disassembled a regular old springed seat and attached that to the meal bottom of the OCC seat.... Yeah hope that makes sense....

PICT4760.jpg

PICT4761.jpg

PICT4762.jpg

What I'm thinking is setting the OCC post in the back part, ( or Ladies Chrome Spaceliner frame ), and the front of the Banana Seat into the front ( or Rusty Mens Frame )....
Sissy bars at this point would be optional, and I've ideas on that.... or I might ditch the metal OCC seat part and go traditional banana seat set at the front and Sissy bar on the back....

I am planning on rivets holding all the seat parts together, as well as the leather I'm using to recover it... maybe.... And last but not least .... the part of the Persons, Vista banana seat won't go to waste... I plan on adding it to the small girls bike banana seat I was recovering in black leather....

PICT4764.jpg

PICT4768.jpg

PICT4767.jpg

Anyway.... I'm watching alot of the Builds out there... and having a great time doing it, some neat stuff for sure....

Also brewing some extra ideas for this build, one in particular that I wanted to do for last years Build-Off but was unable to... with 24" ers on this I think I can pull it off but, that will come later, once I've actually combined the two frames and made a rider.....

Thanks for checking out my Build, and Thank You for any and all comments you choose to leave.... they are appreciated...

That MONSTER Nanner is a thrill ride in itself!!!
Looking sharp!!

Man, that should be one heck of crazy-cool stretch bike! Rock It!!!

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 5/30

The-Curse-of-the-Were-Rabbit-wallace-and-gromit-118057_1920_1182.jpg

This Angry mob was yelling for an update, or for me to "GTB" because May is just about over ....
I've been busy and "BLOCKED" ... but I need to get working if I'm going to finish this ...

I finally cut the Headtube off the Chrome Ladies Spaceliner, and removed the support bracket between the upper twin bars and the Down tube ...

Patient prepped for surgery ...
( An old Ironing board is my working table right now ... I REALLY need to clean and organize my carport )

PICT4771.jpg

And done for the moment ...

PICT4787.jpg

I'm not cutting off the Down Tube until I know exactly what I'm doing... But like a few of you guys suggested bending the twin top tubes to meet the Rust frame is where I'm going to go with this...

After I cut the Headtube off, I got the idea of cutting it up and reusing part of its Chrome as my Headbadge somehow ... It's the same diameter as the Rust Headtube, so it shouldn't be any big deal .... But I'll be doing that later on....

PICT4789.jpg

I need to get to Harbor Freight to pick up a Riveter to finish my seat ... and I think I'm going to finally Splurge on a Dremmel .....

Thanks to kingfish for that link to Xtracycles, Way Cool builds and Good ideas ....

Now, Because I'll be back on Page #1 ( from page 3 ) the obligatory "Bunny" pic ....

were-rabbit-wallace-gromit-curse-of-the-were-rabbit.jpg

Thanks for Looking guys ... Please any and All comments or critique is Welcomed ...

Re: The Great Space Ghoster

Cool idea with the headbadge.
Glad you were able to "iron" out the kinks of that frame on your work table there.
Also glad that the longtail forum helped you noodle on this build a bit. There are some cool ideas out there.

I am REALLY looking forward to this build moving along. It is gonna be cool!!!!

THE GREAT SPACE GHOSTER
sgflying2.jpg

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 5/30

After a week and a half without an update or any REAL Progress maybe I should take kingfish's idea and I should change the name of my build ....

kingfish254 said:
THE GREAT SPACE GHOSTER
sgflying2.jpg

Okay nothing spectacular ... Again .... I've been blocked
I want to weld, but don't see how I'll have the time to organize my carport and practice enough to get good enough to trust it to this build ... So I've been brain storming ways to figure the joining of the frames without it.... And like raggedjim wrote in his thread ...
raggedjim said:
Ha! That's me today at lunch in the hardware store...

Them: "Can I help you?"

Me: "whatcha know about bicycles?"

Them: "I can ride one..."

Me: "You'll do, how can I cover my brake lever light switches, but still keep a cool ratrod look to my bike? Nothing overpowering, it has to be subtle enough to slap you in the face... but not take away from the synchronized swimming trophy eagle."

Them: "Synchronized eagle brake lever switches? Uhhh, you need to go to a bike shop."

Me: "What? Those guys don't... nevermind, I'll wonder around aimlessly for a while."

Rg

I was at my local Ace Hardware, One specializing in Commercial Business, not the everyday everything household Ace Hardware ... And i spent almost an hour just wandering around their Plumbing section grabbing this part and that part trying to think how this or that'd go together ...
The Employees there kept coming up to me " Can we help You ? " No I'm just Brainstorming a Bike Project..... I kinda didn't want to go into the whole story of what I was doing and thinking .... It'd end up being like " Alices Restaurant " ....

We are, after all, almost half way through our allotted time for the Build-Off ...
So I figure over the last week I'd work on my seat and other little things ..
But I came to the realization ....

" came to the realization that it was a typical case of American
blind justice, and there wasn't nothing he could do about it, and the
judge wasn't going to look at the twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy
pictures with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each
one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against us. "

Sorry .... Came to the realization that I couldn't finish my seat until I finished joining the frames together, or at least had an idea of how the geometry would be once they are fully joined together ...
So I finally Cut the Downtube off ...
That'd been a problem for me because I haven't had any ideas how to cover the scar of it by the bottom bracket...
But once I started doing things the blockage went away, and by Jove the Ideas have been percolating and brewing All Day ... Hopefully Somewhat Realistic Ideas that I'll be able to pull off .... But none of it means anything until I finish the " Joining Of The Frames " ( Ahhhhh AAhhhh ... angels playing music in the background ..).

PICT4808.jpg

PICT4809.jpg

Once I cut the downtube of the chrome bike I was able to get a better idea of how to join the frames together ...So I did a couple of mock up again, so I could see what I'm visualizing ...

These are both with 24' Front and Rear ...

PICT4811.jpg

PICT4812.jpg

Then I put a 26' 'Front on it because I've got a Special 26' fork coming that I'll probably use ....

PICT4813.jpg

PICT4814.jpg

Okay, a couple of things ....
I figured out that the twin chrome bars are going to have to go Above the two rusty bars in the back .... and Yes, I'm going to try and bend them to match the curve of the two bars they'll be going over ....

And Second ... the seat as you can see is coming together, but of course not done...I'm going to use the OCC Seat Modification I showed earlier, because, even though I have some Way Cool ideas about Sissy Bars, I really don't want to mess with the lines of the frames too much ... kinda the whole point of using Spaceliner frames ... the lines of the frames are So right ....
Here are a few pics of it by itself under construction ...

PICT4804.jpg

PICT4805.jpg

PICT4806.jpg

After I took those I wanted to mock up an idea I talked about on kingfish 's thread ... Fan Covers as Fender Skirts ... I'd thought about it last year but they wouldn't fit 26" wheels ... This year I'll have a 24" back wheel ... Perfect ....

PICT4792.jpg

PICT4791.jpg

PICT4822.jpg

PICT4818.jpg

It'll take some doing, not much though... I can use that fender repositioned, or Ideally get a 24" Rear Chrome Back Fender ... But ALL IS FOR NAUGHT ... Until I "JOIN THE FRAMES"

Seriously though, once I do that most everything else is little touches and tasks ....
I just realized how many " little " things ( Time Consuming ) I'll need to do ....
Until then I'm watching ALOT of different threads ... Commenting on some ... Not All ... But Loving watching All these great bikes being built ... And probably Killing Too Much Time doing it ... Oh Well ....

Thanks Much Again to All you guys and gals out there building, following, and commenting, it's what makes this Build - Off ( and Forum ), So Much Fun ...

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 6/9

The fan guards are a great idea! I'll keep that in mind for future builds, may not use the whole thing, but a portion of one would be an idea I'd possibly use! Amazing the ones you have are just the right diameter! This whole idea of joining two frames is a radical, but cool idea! I will be watching this build just to see what else you come up with.

Dude, for a gut that is stumped, you are rockin' and rollin'!!!!!

I'll come back and meditate on this update later.

With Fugsley, I did a ton of mock up before getting it welded.
You may want to start including chains in you mocks, Getting the chainline to work around all those frame parts can totally change how everything goes together.
You may have to squeeze the rear of the front frame to give some clearance.

Still ove the seat! It is progressing well.

I hope you get the time to make this thing happen because I am REALLY liking and enjoying this build!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!

Oh yeah, and the fan skirts are perfect!!!

pick said:
The fan guards are a great idea! I'll keep that in mind for future builds, may not use the whole thing, but a portion of one would be an idea I'd possibly use! Amazing the ones you have are just the right diameter! This whole idea of joining two frames is a radical, but cool idea! I will be watching this build just to see what else you come up with.

Thanks alot pick ... I really liked your Bad Apple Spaceliner last year .... POCO RATA "Little Rat" is shaping up great ... When I came to the realization that the fan covers were so evenly matched I was Quite Pleased ... But now I'll have to actually pull it off ...eh

Joining two frames together by no means is my idea, like I said at the start of my thread, I was inspired by Schwinnliner in RRBO 5 ... But got the crazy idea of using Spaceliner frames .....
Thanks man ...

kingfish254 said:
Dude, for a gut that is stumped, you are rockin' and rollin'!!!!!

I'll come back and meditate on this update later.

With Fugsley, I did a ton of mock up before getting it welded.
You may want to start including chains in you mocks, Getting the chainline to work around all those frame parts can totally change how everything goes together.
You may have to squeeze the rear of the front frame to give some clearance.

Still ove the seat! It is progressing well.

I hope you get the time to make this thing happen because I am REALLY liking and enjoying this build!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!

Oh yeah, and the fan skirts are perfect!!!

Thanks a ton kingfish ...
I thought about the whole chain clearance issue when I was doing the mock ups. I didn't do one then because when I put the twin chrome bars Above the rust rear bars it'll change the geometry slightly, I think ...
I've come across this issue before, Never Solved it, haven't finished that project yet ( That would be Project # 5,578 on the Backburner ).

PICT4827.jpg

PICT4833.jpg

The chain mainly rubbed against the bottom bracket of the rear frame , but also caught the top of the front frame ....

PICT4828.jpg

PICT4829.jpg

I think this is somewhat solved by lining up both frames chainstays evenly ...
I threw a chain over the top half to see the clearance on this mockup... A WEE Bit close on the front frame, which actually is Spread out to receive the second frame ... if anything I might have to tweek those bars out just a skosh ...

PICT4823.jpg

PICT4825.jpg

I didn't take pictures of the chain draped around the bottom, but it was free and clear ... like I said, if you look at the first pictures of both these bikes the bottom of the frame on the BMX is not lined up nicely at all, but the Spaceliners are somewhat straight .... which I believe makes all the difference ...
But like I said, I'll deal with that once I have a final " JOINING OF THE FRAMES " ....

Peatbog said:
Hey, what I see here is something that keeps getting cooler. That seat is pretty ingenious too.

That's way cool of you to say .... but what I think is ingenious, is your Bratz bike build ... Gotta say its one that is way up top of my list ... I've thought about picking one of those up and making it less little girlzy ....
Thanks again, more to come on that seat ....

If it's gotta spaceliner frame (or 2), I'm already sold on it! Definately one of my favorite frames of all time! Never seen one I don't like! 8)

A spaceliner stretch , gotta love it !!!! if you ever want to sell that hit me up , I hope I have some cash , if you call

Okay...

So I did another mock-up with he twin chrome bars Above the back of the rust frame...
As I thought it DID change the geometry of the bike, if ever so slightly, but in a Good way ....
I Spread the back end of the rust frame Just A Wee Bit before I put it together, and with the different orientation of the chrome frame, my Chain clearance is Perfect, ( or at least it shouldn't cause me any worries )... As you can see the chainstays line up almost perfectly in a straight line ....

Now this is a rough mock-up just to check the chain issue, but I changed a couple of things because I could ...
I put on RamsHorns ( Yes I know they're Backwards, I just kinda like the look of them that way ), and I threw on a fender for the rear, eh ... Remember these aren't the forks I'll be running up front either, Still waiting for my new ones .... Here Goes pics :

PICT4834.jpg

PICT4835.jpg

Close ups of the chain clearance ....

PICT4836.jpg

PICT4837.jpg

PICT4838.jpg

Now I'd had an idea earlier, right before the Build Off started to do something that'd make this build Over-The-Top, but decided against it because I'm going to be riding this bike alot ....
After seeing Diabolical_Dork's Schwindian and Smoopy's Fly By Night I'm glad I didn't do it ....
That's one Sub Build Off I'd want no part of ...
But for S*its and Giggles I did a quick Mock Up ....

PICT4839.jpg

PICT4840.jpg

Now That'd be a Fun bike to ride around, but not for this Build Off....
I've had that trike rear end hanging around for awhile, and maybe after the build off I'll make a bike with it, but for this one I'm trying to go almost strictly a balance of Rust and Chrome.
And while that trike rear end is Rusty, it's neither Chrome or Rusty enough ....

Thanks again everyone, I always appreciate any comments, critiques, and criticisms ....
And I love watching all the rest of your builds too ...

*****NEWSFLASH******
Right as I was about to hit the "Submit" button, my Maillady called and said my forks will be here in about 10 minutes .... Oh Yeah ......
You'll see them in a day or two, no time today to do much more ....

Latest posts

Back