Re: The Great Space Coaster 6/15 Update

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 6/9

Man, lock that frame position down!!!! Looks like you have it nailed the way it just flows from one to the other. Good clearance as well.
Ramshorns fit the theme perfectly and seeing them sparked an idea of my own. I have those odd Exerciser flat mini apes. I bet they would make some cool rams if I cut some drop bars in half and slapped them on the ends.
The trike is truly over the top, but to be honest with you, I think this bike is better as a 2 wheeler!!!
Looking forward to what you have in store for us next.
Keep it up. This continues to be one of my faves to watch.

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 6/12

Alright real quick because I should be getting ready for work ...
Thanks kingfish for your kind words ... I've thought about doing handlebars like you said, but I can't get myself to set up space for my welder and start practicing how to use it ... and how dumb is that ?
It's HUGE that this is one of your faves, cause I know how many you're watching, Thanks ...
And YES the Maillady brought my 26" Chrome Spaceliner Springer Fork ( Thanks Tyler RRB Member biss-ness ).

And last, but not least, I just got done stripping down an alley score Brown Leather Couch... removed Every scrap of leather leaving it to its bare bones .... Yards and Yards of Good Leather to use, and I found 20 cents in the couch ( Amongst many other little things kids drop in couches )... Pics tomorrow, because I might need opinions ...
Gotta get Ironing and fly to work ....

whoinphx said:
..... cause I know how many you're watching, Thanks .......

I am watching EVERY build. That's the fun of BO time!!!! It keeps you on your toes and also helps seed ideas for your own build.

whoinphx said:
And last, but not least, I just got done stripping down an alley score Brown Leather Couch... removed Every scrap of leather leaving it to its bare bones .... Yards and Yards of Good Leather to use, and I found 20 cents in the couch ( Amongst many other little things kids drop in couches )... Pics tomorrow, because I might need opinions ...

What a great idea!!!! One more thing for me to look for as I ramble around town.

And you found 20 cents!!! I bought a pair of pannier bike bags this weekend for $5 total. Well today I noticed that they had a zipper pouch on the back. Pull a $20 bill out that was rat holed in the bottom. Plus I should be able to sell the bags for $30. :mrgreen:

Dr_Evil.jpg

I could so see Dr. Evil riding this space ride into town! Oh yeah. Nice choice of parts :D

mitchelangelo said:
I could so see Dr. Evil riding this space ride into town! Oh yeah. Nice choice of parts :D

Thanks mitchelangelo, that put a funny picture in my head ...

Peatbog, yeah I thought it cool also, just not for this Build Off.
I'll let Smoopy's build the Ultimate Trike and then try to steal half of his insane ideas. I've got a Spaceliner frame, ( The first one I ever got ) that I threw together with spare parts awhile back. I think after the Build Off I'll try the trike idea ...

Re: The Great Space Coaster Update 6/13 OPINIONS PLEASE

Well I'll start with my Leather Score...
Whenever I'm Alley Hunting and I come across a leather couch, I'll strip it of its usable leather. Usually the sections of the couch were its not seen, behind the Cushions or along the back of the couch where it's commonly up against the wall are Vinyl ... I guess to keep the price down.
Good leather couches are All leather, as was the one I found yesterday.

PICT4841.jpg

That is the entire couch, I literally left behind nothing but some foam padding, the springs, and wood frame.
The best part, that is usually messed up or torn, is the back of the couch. When its not substituted with vinyl, its the largest piece usually, great for cutting up and recovering seat and such ...

PICT4842.jpg

Since it's not sat on or really used, it is in great shape, the cushions can get worn, like any leather.

PICT4843.jpg

Not to bore you further about the finer points of alley hunting leather, but I NEED YOUR OPINION ..
I was going to use some "Distressed" Brown leather I got from a couch, similar to a Bomber Jacket leather ...

PICT4845.jpg

Now I have the option of the new "Cleaner" Brown leather ...

PICT4842.jpg

OR, Use the new leather , but the underside showing ...

PICT4843.jpg

I"m trying to keep the build down to the Rust and Chrome and thought to have the Distressed Leather used for the seat, hand grips, and accents here and there. I thought it'd tie in well with the rust, but the Cleaner brown might tie in colorwise and be "shiny" like the chrome.
Again I could also use the "Raw" leather ...

****Your Opinions Please****

Now time for some bike shots ....
I bent the top chrome bars to match the curve of the bars on the rust frame ...

PICT4852.jpg

And have decided how to join the frames in lieu of welding. I'm going to drill where the frames bars meet and bolt them together. I'll also add JB Weld in between. I'll do the same where the chrome tubes go over the fender bracket ...

PICT4853.jpg

If it doesn't hold up, then I'll resort to welding ... I guess ....

Gratuitous Pictures of the frames with my new Chrome springer ...

PICT4857.jpg

PICT4858.jpg

Sorry for all the leather background, just imagine I was talking paints and the difference between enamels and lacquers, clear coats and rattlecans ...yada yada yada

Thanks everyone .....

I love the idea of alley leather. I will apply it at some point in time.

SInce your bike is a mix of rough (rust) and smooth (chrome), I think you should take a look at Peatbog seat and do the side panels in the new leather and the center section in the distressed leather.

From what I have seen of homemade longtail cargo bikes, I think you bolt up idea on the frame will work. It might also be good to connect the two chrome tubes just in front of the seatpost. Maybe JB Weld some threaded rod into the holes then have a plate with that join the two and use acorn nuts to fasten the plate on the bolts. It would provide some lateral bracing and dress up the ends of the tubes. I am just thinking out loud on this, but maybe it will give you enough to go on.

New springer looks great too!

raggedjim said:
I like the idea of combining the leather that King mentioned (it would be beyond my ability but maybe you are capable of it!)

This bike is coming along great! Rg

Probably beyond me too. I have never sewn hardly anything.

Very cool build you've got there 8) The distressed leather look good with the rusted frame and chrome goes with just about everything.

I'm not building a bike this time. So I haven't kept up with ALL the builds. I didn't see this one coming.....NICE work! This is going to be one B/A bike.

KOTA said:
I'm not building a bike this time. So I haven't kept up with ALL the builds. I didn't see this one coming.....NICE work! This is going to be one B/A bike.

Kota, We miss you man. Wish you were in BO7!! As always, there is some cool dukey goin down!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it.

kingfish254 said:
KOTA said:

Kota, We miss you man. Wish you were in BO7!! As always, there is some cool dukey goin down!

KOTA ... That's a Huge compliment coming from you, I've always thought your bikes were B/A ....
and I second what kingfish said also, you are missed, and there is some cool dukey goin down, and I'm not counting my bike in that just yet .....

As far as the leather situation, I'm going to go with the Distressed ... I think I was leaning that way anyhow, but when I suddenly got all that new brown leather, I was like a kid with a new toy and wanted to play with it right away ...

kingfish254 said:
I love the idea of alley leather. I will apply it at some point in time.

SInce your bike is a mix of rough (rust) and smooth (chrome), I think you should take a look at Peatbog seat and do the side panels in the new leather and the center section in the distressed leather.

From what I have seen of homemade longtail cargo bikes, I think you bolt up idea on the frame will work. It might also be good to connect the two chrome tubes just in front of the seatpost. Maybe JB Weld some threaded rod into the holes then have a plate with that join the two and use acorn nuts to fasten the plate on the bolts. It would provide some lateral bracing and dress up the ends of the tubes. I am just thinking out loud on this, but maybe it will give you enough to go on.

New springer looks great too!

Though, I like kigfish's idea of going "two-tone" with the different leathers for the seat ...
Beyond my skills I think, but I might know someone who'd do it for me ... But that'd depend on if I had time after doing the basics, it'd also open a can of worms as to incorporating both leathers into the highlights and such ....
And kingfish I here you on the lateral support and dressing up the ends of the tubes ...
I have some ideas for that ...

Now I've been thinking about my idea of drilling holes through the two tubes and running a screw through them to join the frames. But I've worried that wouldn't have enough structural integrity ...
I bought a Harbor Freight screw riveter for my seat, and I got to thinking what if I put rivets in the top and in the bottom of the tubes .?.?.? I think that would add some strength to the screws ...

PICT4865.jpg

PICT4864.jpg

So I'd be screwing into one tube, going through both tubes and screwing into the second tube on the way out ...
I'd be capping the screw off with an acorn nut after its through everything ...
I think this will add enough stability and strength, especially because I'm doing two on either side of the frames, ( on both sides of the seatpost for a total of four screws ) ....

I'm also thinking of attaching the twin chrome tubes to the fender brace on the rust frame ...
Here are a couple of ideas as to how I'll do that ...

First I've got two insulated wire holders ... They would give me three scew points, one in between them and two on either side. I fear that the metal isn't thick ( or tough ) enough ....

PICT4866.jpg

PICT4870.jpg

Second I have two 1/2 inch conduit holders that are thicker metal but only give two screw points ...

PICT4871.jpg

So we'll see ... any way that I end up doing it, will be dressed up or hid by the leather, I've some ideas ....

Once again Thank You guys for your comments, and for all of you who are looking and not leaving comments. I appreciate you just looking at whats going on, but comments are ALWAYS welcomed ...

What's new with this awesome beast!!!!!????????

Well, I was waiting for this bump...
(What No Hungry Bunnies .?.?)

Getting the house in order, my Dad is coming from California to pick up my sons for their annual "Camp Grandpa",(Full time working Single Dad and two boys does not make for a Martha Stewart presentation household).
And helping my brother moving, it all adds up to not much done on the bike.....

I DID complete joining the frames with two spots (No Pics yet), but long story short I had to get different screws, and the threaded Rivets aren't sold any more so then I had to get other bolts,,,, yada yada yada.....

Kids are gone for two and a half weeks as of Sunday, Building will be done ...

In the mean time I've been looking at and planning lighting and fan skirts and other extras, just nothing to Show ... laying ground work ....
Thanks for the check up, I'm not posting, but still in a good place ....

It hadn't quite been two weeks so the bunnies weren't hungry enough. 8) :D

Latest posts

Back