Recent aquisitions...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
A few pickups this last month or so that I haven't shared yet...

'52 Schwinn... might be able to find a model under that house paint :nod:...

IMG_20180426_124124007.jpg

I'm going to assume this is Corvallis Police Dept...but, could be any 'C' town, I reckon.
IMG_20180426_124448144.jpg

Soooo crusty. I was hoping to do a mechanical run through and keep all the crustiness, but several of the spokes have rusted through :doh:
IMG_20180426_124618098.jpg

I'm pretty sure this qualifies as the most original old bike I got...everything looks correct except for the tires (which are super old, but not original) and the housepaint :thumbsup:.

Jason

Last edited:
... I'm going to skip the sad story identity crisis 20"er tonight...as it is in the garage and it's pouring down rain. But, in it's place...a forgotten pickup (its been a whole month :grin:)...

'34 or '35 ish Colson. Inspired by @SILVERKINGPC 's beautiful 21st Century Klunker...

IMG_20180428_200648982.jpg

Jason

...and finally...the 20"er with the identity crisis :blush:

I work the coffee bar at church one month out of every four...me, my wife, and Joe. Joe is a grumpy old codger (actually, quite funny) with all the associated stories, funny sayings, and so on.

So, several month ago...I'm talking about bikes, and he asks me if I'd be interested in a Hiawatha that he had as a kid. I say, 'tell me more, please'...first bike (20"er), 1952, various stories, gave it to a guy that fixed it up when Joe's kids were young (paint, chrome fenders, etc, etc.)...said he had thrown it on the scrap trailer, but would pull it off if I was interested. Well, the answer was, of course, 'yes' :grin:.

Months go by...I remind him occasionally...it nearly gets tossed a couple more times. Sells his house, and has a yard sale...his wife almost sells it. I'm pulling up pictures and planning a tribute build to his family with the plans of offering back to his grandkids as they get old enough. FINALLY, months later...he brings it to church with him...I'm trembling (not really) in anticipation. I follow him out to his car...he pops the trunk...and I see...this...

IMG_20180510_121812513.jpg

What year did you say this was, Joe? Oh...a '52 Hiawatha. What color was it originally? Grey. Oh, I can probably see it if I look at all the flaked paint...umm.

At this point, I see his expression change...I think he is starting to notice something isn't quite right. So, I grab the frame, thank him profusely...and quickly stash the frame in the back of my truck.

I have to figure that Joe wasn't that big of a bike guy. Either the guy that 'restored' the bike, or...more likely...his kids at some point, switched it out for this hot mess :).

This is the coolest thing about the bike, and I don't really know what it is...

IMG_20180510_121908758.jpg

I'll still probably carry through with my plan, but, I must admit...the excitement level has dropped more than a bit :cry:.

Jason

Latest posts

Back