REMIX

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool badge idea. I like the fender dart, but the shine may need to be dulled down a bit.

kingfish254 said:
Cool badge idea. I like the fender dart, but the shine may need to be dulled down a bit.

Hey King…I hear you!

The cool thing about this approach is that after it dries back…I rub it down and it polishes similar to real copper. The key word is “dries” I screwed up yesterday…I didn’t let it dry completely! I wanted o add another color dart and the tape left nasty marks, ugh! And if that wasn’t enough I began rubbing it and burned a divot in it. So I had to sand it off and do it again. Bummer!

But then I thought what if I make a leather dart instead to match the pod?

Maybe you should change the name to Leatherman? :p :mrgreen:
Leatherman-MUT.jpg

Today's weather sucks...two days ago we were in boiling heat, yesterday it was overcast, and now today it's raining! Makes it difficult to do any work outside. So I stuck the fender and the leather seat over my floor heater...I'm thrilled with how they turned out!

menzorro said:
"...I'm thrilled with how they turned out!"

I'll bet so. That seat is very cool.
What thickness of leather are you using ?
Thanks!
I haven't a clue about the leather thickness? I think leather is measured in ounces? I bought this hide about 30 years ago..it was a split - half of a cow! If you really want to know the thickness...there's a leather guy down the road from me, I can stopped by and ask him tomorrow...LMK?

Well Mr. Fordsnake, I've been gone for a minute. No bike this year. Actually graduated a few months ago to a vintage four wheel wallet drainer, but I specifically checked back in here and then straight to this build off mainly to see what YOU were up to. I am not surprised by what I found. I'm lovin this build as much as I did MoFaux last year. Cheers my friend!

fordsnake said:
menzorro said:
"...I'm thrilled with how they turned out!"

I'll bet so. That seat is very cool.
What thickness of leather are you using ?
Thanks!
I haven't a clue about the leather thickness? I think leather is measured in ounces? I bought this hide about 30 years ago..it was a split - half of a cow! If you really want to know the thickness...there's a leather guy down the road from me, I can stopped by and ask him tomorrow...LMK?
I just wanted to know if the leather was a thin piece (1/8") molded to cover the seat or a thick piece (1/4") to replace the seat. Just a rough measurement to help me understand your process is all I was after. Loving this build.

menzorro said:
I just wanted to know if the leather was a thin piece (1/8") molded to cover the seat or a thick piece (1/4") to replace the seat. Just a rough measurement to help me understand your process is all I was after. Loving this build.

Thanks for the kudos...the leather's about 1/16" thick, it's ideal for stretching after it has soaked in hot water!

EastOfEastLos said:
Well Mr. Fordsnake, I've been gone for a minute. No bike this year. Actually graduated a few months ago to a vintage four wheel wallet drainer, but I specifically checked back in here and then straight to this build off mainly to see what YOU were up to. I am not surprised by what I found. I'm lovin this build as much as I did MoFaux last year. Cheers my friend!

What's happening? I thought for sure you were going to build something this year! Your bike stance last year was my inspiration for Remix. So what kind of ride are you wrenching on? I'd love to see pics... PM me?

Carlton

Haha, yeah. I kept an eye out for a nice old bike, but couldn't find one for cheap like last years bike. Nice to hear my build gave you, of all people, some inspiration! That gives me inspiration! Haha! Got a total resto project '50 Chevy Styleline Deluxe in March. I'll shoot ya a pic in your inbox. Can't wait to see what your final version will be like. I know it will be a work of art! TC - EOEL

Double Nickle said:
Bane said:
I would like to take this time wish everyone playing for 2nd place good luck!
kim_dude said:
This build is one endless HOLY #$@&!!! :shock: :shock:

Thanks guys for your thumbs up...I'm being very careful abut this build and trying not to rush. So far my patience has paid off. I've only made a few mistakes...painting the fender was the biggest one so far! But I'm really happy with the results of going down that road and deciding on using the leather dart!

thsi just gets cooler and cooler love the seat and fender dart they are above excellent!!!

Troy

this bike just keeps getting cooler and cooler!!!! beautiful seat and fender piece!!!

Troy

Latest posts

Back