Retro Racer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!
I've started building my second bike, sort of an old style racer, on request from a friend of mine. He liked the idea of having a handbuilt bike, and wanted to buy one from me! :) So for this one I don't even have to pay for the material! Luxury! :D
I plan to make the frame, forks and lights and then I'll use some fenders that I have lying around. I'll probably buy a seat and make a new cover for it.
Here's the sketch of the bike
Skiss.jpg

No lights on the sketch, but I'll design them as I go along. :)
I had some pieces of wood that were left over when I built a new doorstep for my house, so I made a frame jig. I guess a jig made of metal is to prefer, but this will do for now! :) I set the jig up yesterday...
jigg.jpg

Today I started on the frame. When it was half done it was getting too dark outside to see properly what I was doing, so I called it a day!
halvfrdigram.jpg

If I had a workshop I most certainly would have kept on into the night, because so far this build is as fun as the first one! :D

That's all for now, I'll post more pics as the bike evolves! :)

Thanks! :D I just realized that I forgot to mention what wheels I'll be using. They're 27" with a 3-speed Torpedo hub, and 1 1/2" tires.
I'm thinking about painting it red and silver, possibly with some sort of pinstripes...'cause I really need to practise pinstriping! :roll: But that idea might change, I've had some other thoughts abot the colours and I haven't decided 100% yet...
Oh, time flies on this site! That's all for now, I'd better get some sleep and hopefully finish the frame tomorrow! :)

I really like your design. I'll keep an eye on your build. Would you mind If I built a bike from your sketch?

Thank you all! Glad you like it so far! :D

MonsterMetal: I wouldn't mind at all! Feel free to have fun with it! Thank you for asking! :D The angle of the fork and seatpost tube is 60 degrees.

Work was somewhat slow yesterday, thought I'd finish the frame, but only made it halfway. The two top tubes took some time to get in place... :roll:
halvfrdigram2.jpg

But today things went smoother, and I was able to pretty much get the frame done before I had to leave for work! :D The only things still left to weld on it are two pieces of sheetmetal on the sides (those winglike things on the sketch) and mounts for the chainguard...I think...unless I come up with some other brilliant ideas... :lol:
nstanfrdigram.jpg

Weeeell, that's all for now! :D

You definitely have some fabrication skills. I think we need to do a buildoff where anything can be altered or built from scratch (frames, forks,etc..) There is a ton of talented folks here who could easily pull off some amazing builds.

necessaryevil said:
I think we need to do a buildoff where anything can be altered or built from scratch (frames, forks,etc..) There is a ton of talented folks here who could easily pull off some amazing builds.

That would be so much fun!! :D I bet some really nice bikes would come out of that too, knowing what you guys are building already! :)

Lookin good...

What do you plan on using for wheels/drivetrain? I was thinking of doing 700C single speed with front and rear brakes. My friend Troy took your sketch and is doing CAD drawings... I'll see if I can get them posted when he is done...

Im excited to see how yours turns out and get working on my own version. I really like the design...

Thanks

I'll be using 27" wheels with Torpedo 3-speed hub, and a crankset I have taken from a donor bike. I've thought of putting a front brake on too, but I'm not sure it'll work with the rims I'm using, I might try and see...
It would be really nice to see the CAD drawings and your build! I'm new to metalworking and bikebuilding and I've still got so much to learn, so it's good to see what people with obviously much more experience than me can make, and how you go about making things! :)
Thank you again, I'm glad you like it!

Hey Olli! Thanks for the tip! Is "the trail" to be considered only with very long forks, or triple trees, straight forks or with any kind of fork? I'm new to this and this is the first time I hear about it...I appreciate your help! :)
Anyway, I've printed the pic you posted and I'll try to figure out the folmula...tonight that is, after I've finished the frame and started on the chainguard... :D

Thanks!

Galtbacken said:
...tonight that is, after I've finished the frame and started on the chainguard...

Who was I trying to fool? This was all I managed to get done after I got home from work and before it got to dark to keep on building. :roll:
rampltar.jpg

Hopefully I'll make more progress tomorrow.

About the trail, its necessary (if you want nice ride) whit all lenght of forks.
In motorcycles 5-10cm is good, but in bicycles whit slower speed about 0-5cm is good.

-Olli

Galtbacken said:
I'm new to metalworking and bikebuilding

It looks like you are doing fine with both. Your welds look great from what I can see in the pics. What type of welder are you using?

Thank you! :) I'm learning as I go along, trying to observe what happens if I to this, or how it changes if I do that... And I've read alittle about welding and looked at pics of what good welds look like and try to achieve the same results, I've still got alot to learn though.
The welder I'm using is a pretty old MIG that runs on 220v, Luna Micromig I think it's called. I got it really cheap, gave $90 for it. Other ads I saw selling the same type of used MIG was for $300 or more. A good friend of mine, who knows better how to weld than I do, gave it a test run and said it worked good. I'm planning on getting a gasbottle for it but for now I'm welding with "no-gas" thread. Guess there's some kind of flux in it.

I'll probably post some pics later of todays progress on the bike, might throw in a pic of the welder as well if you like. :)

Latest posts

Back