Reworking an Oldie

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
It's time to grow up. The first iteration featured a lawn chair arm as the down tube, and the best paint job spray paint and impatience could get me.
IMG_3575.JPG

Then, it was reborn with a western theme, including an actual saddle as a seat.
IMG_5638.JPG

Well, I thought it was time to be an adult frame, and so, I chopped off the lawn chair piece, and I'll be dropping this down lower, and rebuilding it as a nice, simple frame.
IMG_9608.JPG

I also took a John Brain springer fork I had made, but didn't like the length of, and I'm reworking that as a triple tree fork.
IMG_9610.JPG

I needed a set of long drops for the fork, and was looking around and around my shop, looking for something the right shape. Finally, I decided to sacrifice a weld clamp magnet, and hoped that it would be rigid enough.
IMG_9611.JPG

IMG_9612.JPG

IMG_9613.JPG

And some rolled 1 1/2" tubing later, and it's only minus it's BB and peat post.
IMG_9618.JPG

Got the BB on, and finished up the forks.
IMG_9631.JPG

IMG_9630.JPG

I little side note. Photo one is TIG welded, and photo two is the other side of the same weld, which was oxy/acetylene welded because I ran out of argon. My TIG welds are getting better, though have a lot of room for improvement. My gas welds still look better, for crying out loud.
IMG_9628.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

Nice spoke pattern on the wheels in the mock-up! From a previous build?

Those are a Warren Wong wheelset I bought some time ago, without a build in mind. I often use them for mock ups.

Completed the frame, put on some cool parts, including a fairly new Brooks saddle, a Warren Wong wheelset, some 1970s NOS 7/8"s motorcycle grips that I've had in their package for years, and a unique set of bars that are a weird kind of wide apes, which I welded on 3 1/2" extensions on to pull them further back. She rides beautifully.
IMG_9653.JPG

IMG_9654.JPG

IMG_9655.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

Lovely bike, please don't take this as criticism, but I think the stem needs MORE! Seems too plain and pedestrian for that radical build

Lovely bike, please don't take this as criticism, but I think the stem needs MORE! Seems too plain and pedestrian for that radical build

I gotcha. It's more that it's what I had laying around. I'll keep a look out for something better.

Latest posts

Back