Rollfast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
I have ben collecting parts for this bike for 4 years. I have just been tossing them in my furnace room. If I don't commit to a build off I'll never do it. When we get a warm day I will toss all the bikes in the yard and free my 4 wheeler and clean/organize the shop. Then I can sand and paint the frame and other parts. We still have snow in the woods so It has to get warmer before I can do much. I could build the wheel and fix the headlight, but that is about it until it gets warmer. Daytime highs have been in the 40s all week with a breezy north wind. IF you aren't working you need insulated gloves a t shirt, turtle neck and lined jacket to lounge in the sun.

Frame

Parts

Last edited:
No turning back now put your Ming to it and getter done . Looks like you have a good start !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great bunch of parts! I'd keep it ratty with the original patina, clear it, maybe trick the rims a little with some color, the white walls are awesome and will stand out.....that seat! This might be jumping the gun....but you've got the makings of a great build here! Rat on!

Good collection. You're gonna have fun when it warms up.

We have all our trees cut, sectioned and stashed. About 10 full cords of firewood for next winter. Six days of logging to get to this point. We dropped more trees so they would dry out for next years harvest or incase we don't end out with enough from this pile. We finished hauling the sections out of the woods today and shoveled a path through the snow to get the splitter out of the storage shed. The door on the storage shed faces north and the snow from the roof fell on the north sided so there was quite a pile of snow and ice to shovel away. The next step is splitting, then hauling and stacking: 7 more days. Hopefully by then it will be warmer and the 15 foot piles of snow in the big box parking lots and the remains of drifts on the north side of depressions in the woods will be gone. If it gets warm the cursed black flies will come out during splitting. This usually happens. Then I should be able to start on the build off. Here we are proudly posing in front of this years pile. My buddies wife took the picture but she couldn't see the image in the tablet screen so she just pointed and shot, so she missed including a little of the wood pile. It was starting to rain so we quit after one picture.

Last edited:
I have been messing with an old safety light that I am converting to a headlight. The idea for now is to use a 4.5V LED bulb and an old Burgess 3 D cell flashlight body for the power supply. I am wondering if the 3 D cells will cause the LEDs to overheat? I used a big gob of Stick N Seal to mount and encapsulate the LED bulbs. The flashlight is not good for a flashlight as I had to clean all the leaked blue battery acid out of the body with white vinegar and a bottle brush I use to clean bottom brackets. I think I will put washers between the flashlight body and the bottom top tube as spacers and see if I can get a rivet gun in there. The batteries will clear the rivet head but it might be impossible to get a rivet gun in there. I also thought of Rivnuts, but the bolt head would be too big for the batteries to clear. I might have to use Rvnuts and use 3 AAA batteries instead of D cells. I want to see if I can use the D cells so I can use the flashlight switch. The safety light body is going into white vinegar to remove the minor rust from the bottom. Any ideas out there on mounting the flashlight body to the bike frame that would still allow the D cells to fit into the flashlight body?

Last edited:
No wood splitting today, it's snowing. Then it will be in the 60sF through Tuesday. Warm enough to paint but I have firewood to split, bummer.
Your a better man than I am re:firewood. I cut late. Gather late. Split late. Stack late. So tired of winter and cold. You are right tho, skeeters and flies and ticks are around the corner. Of course, I have fences to repair - at least pastures are growing now - No more hay for a few months, yay!
Also gotta love Rollfast! and re: LEDs I think if you keep volts down physical size of battery won't matter.

Your a better man than I am re:firewood. I cut late. Gather late. Split late. Stack late. So tired of winter and cold. You are right tho, skeeters and flies and ticks are around the corner. Of course, I have fences to repair - at least pastures are growing now - No more hay for a few months, yay!
Also gotta love Rollfast! and re: LEDs I think if you keep volts down physical size of battery won't matter.
For us the big reason to cut early is because the leaves make it difficult to see what you are doing. It is only snowing at higher altitudes away from Lake Superior. At my friends house where we cut on his 40 acres it is high and snowing: here it is just raining.

We are going to have to cut up two of the trees we dropped for next years firewood. We were short and couldn't quite fill up both of our woodsheds. I think 3 more days of cutting hauling splitting and stacking will finish the firewood cutting for 2016-17. I have 6 bikes projects to work on and can hardly wait to work on them. Next up is building the skip tooth wheel. I tore down the New Departure hub and it has been soaking in solvent for 4 days, so I have been getting a little done. I also acid etched, primed and painted the center stand. I will need more paint coats. It was in the 40F today but sunny so I hung it outside to partially dry and then in the basement by the wood fire.

I am seriously glad things are greening up here, got my first tick the other day in the yard clearing brush!

Pretty sure you can get handlebar clamps for that style of flashlight, maybe you could modify one of them?

Luke.
I thought about your idea and modified it a little. I ordered boat clamps for holding nets and gaffs, etc. They are longer than the flashlight holder so I should be able to put a nut and bolt thorough the top of the tangs to keep the flashlight body from bouncing out. They are spring stainless so I will probably have to heat them to bend the base to conform to the round bike tube. I have to get them to see if they need modifying.

I have been messing with an old safety light that I am converting to a headlight. The idea for now is to use a 4.5V LED bulb and an old Burgess 3 D cell flashlight body for the power supply. I am wondering if the 3 D cells will cause the LEDs to overheat? I used a big gob of Stick N Seal to mount and encapsulate the LED bulbs. The flashlight is not good for a flashlight as I had to clean all the leaked blue battery acid out of the body with white vinegar and a bottle brush I use to clean bottom brackets. I think I will put washers between the flashlight body and the bottom top tube as spacers and see if I can get a rivet gun in there. The batteries will clear the rivet head but it might be impossible to get a rivet gun in there. I also thought of Rivnuts, but the bolt head would be too big for the batteries to clear. I might have to use Rvnuts and use 3 AAA batteries instead of D cells. I want to see if I can use the D cells so I can use the flashlight switch. The safety light body is going into white vinegar to remove the minor rust from the bottom. Any ideas out there on mounting the flashlight body to the bike frame that would still allow the D cells to fit into the flashlight body?

I think some leather straps would look pretty cool and easy, thrift store belt, a couple rivets, done.

Rain and snow predicted for this weekend, which is holding up the wood splitting and frame painting. I have been warming up small parts by the wood stove and painting them in my workshop and then hanging them around my wood stove to cure. I have 2 bike projects that I have small parts curing this way.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back