RRB BO 13 Discussion Thread....feeling lucky?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just realized something. If we start on Tue, May 1, and end on Tue, July 31; we will have a Build Off that is exactly 13 weeks long.

Coincidence? I think not.

As for names, there are so many associations with the number 13, that I'm sure we will definitely end up with some fun and creative build names.....

....and now my mind is racing.... :21:

Mine is gonna be brown and I'm gonna call it Turdteen

How about build off 13, or simply 13?
Ah yeah...
I think we're talking bike names with themes and such. 13 is simply too boring. So, while I'm waiting to get started for a month, creating names is loads of fun. Which reminds me, one of these yrs I'm going to get around to building a Thunderbolt Grease Slapper. But I've pretty much got to use 13th Mental Breakdown at this point cuz it's just over the top enough...

Carl.

Last edited:
Ah yeah...
I think we're talking bike names with themes and such. 13 is simply too boring. So, while I'm waiting to get started for a month, creating names is loads of fun. Which reminds me, one of these yrs I'm going to get around to building a Thunderbolt Grease Slapper. But I've pretty much got to use 13th Mental Breakdown at this point cuz it's just over the top enough...

Carl.
Oh yea.
I have a name and theme too. It'll be called Ratillac, and since it'll be my last full build for a while; I went a bit overboard.

1101 Binary Star (Spacelander build?)
1313 Mockingbird (Gotta be a chain frame Stingray)
13 Flavors (Ice Cream Trike)
13 bean soup, that last one isn't a bike build, it's what's for dinner... Mmm mmm add a little diced ham and ya really got something.:21:

Merle :crazy:

13th MentalBreakdown.jpg
a month out and I'm building bikes in my head...

Carl.

The rules generally say we can't start the build until the build off starts, but is there a rule that says we can't work on a part that will go on the bike?

@Rat Rod this is your thing, but I'm just trying to get the general consensus.

Depending on the Rules for #13, I have a bike that I bought in 2012 or 2013. It is a blue 2010 Giant Via 2.

Only vintage rule I've heard of was the WBO this year and it quickly got changed to "have fun, play with bikes"

Would love to see a Mazdaflyer makeover on that. Was going to use a similar vintage of bike myself this year.

The rules generally say we can't start the build until the build off starts, but is there a rule that says we can't work on a part that will go on the bike?

Rules says don't start on the build until the start....but I try not to do too much because it's fun to build the anticipation a bit. I do have a part for mine I've been carrying in my pocket that the finish has been wearing off of....accidentally....but it's just something fairly mundane.
See...
69320ae63ca3bfc8e70112f3671c6ca6.jpg

Carl.

You gonna name it that or just have it as a BO 13 thing? Does this mean "Chicken Wacker Burrito" is up for grabs? Dyin' to see that idea brought to life.

It ain't that confusing bro.
Don't start building your bike yet...
Collect parts, take things apart, draw pictures or work on something else. Most of the time I've found out in general if you have to ask, the answer is no.

Chicken Wacker Burrito is up for grabs.
I'm building a Mark IV Jaguar...

Carl.

The main drawback for me with the Chicken Wacker Burrito is the Chicken Wacker motor. It's partly disassembled and I'm not a combustion engine guy. It's actually a Sears free Spirit motor that sat on the front wheel... I figured I could fab a bracket for it to sit on behind the rider, pushing the back wheel. Might have enough oomph to help an old man get it up to cruise. But between my 225 and the weight of a tandem I wouldn't expect any blinding acceleration. :21:
I've really been contemplating an electric front wheel with a battery pack that I could put on different bikes depending on what I felt like riding...

Carl.

Has anyone "officially" revealed the bike they are using, or what they are planning to do yet? I'm getting pretty excited about mine. Thinking about doing an "unboxing" video reveal of all the parts I have been getting in the mail. I am starting with a new bike and mostly bolting different parts on, but I think it's gonna end up pretty cool! Kind of a personal build for myself that will be done within the confines of the build-off. I hope it looks like what it does in my head when I'm done!

@Toeslider , usually the 'unboxing' or 'reveal' of the bike builds happens on the first day of the build off; May 1. Also, that is the day you can create your build thread on the actual BO forum. Otherwise you'd have to start a build thread in the Builds forum, and then transfer it when May 1 comes around.

Of course, you could always put a couple 'teaser' photos in this thread....:nerd:

Think I will try building the bike I didn't come close to finishing last year. No worry of overtime getting in the way this year. Basically will be starting with a painted frame, tires and pinstriped sprocket.

Latest posts

Back