RRBBO-8 Preview

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Renaissance Man

__CERTIFIED DIVER__ (Open Water & Open Dumpster)
Staff member
Pro Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
With the build-off less than a month away, let's see a preview of what's
'Coming Soon to a Monitor Near You'!

bike-lane-coming-soon.jpg
:mrgreen:

So here's my preview...

I've decided to break from the cruiser pack with a Yamaha Moto-Bike. These are some very cool looking frames and were ahead of their time when they came out in 1973. The one draw back to these forerunners of BMX is that the size is too small for us grown-up kids. So what I've got planned for this build is to take an unmodified frame and scale it up with a longer swing arm and fork and add 24" wheels.

Here's a side by side comparison. I used a picture of an original bike that RatRod had built to create this rendering... (Just click on it if you can't see a full picture.)
moto-bikecomparison_zps6b67be29.jpg

You should build that Moto with walgoose beast wheels.

The Renaissance Man said:
So here's my preview...

I've decided to break from the cruiser pack with a Yamaha Moto-Bike. These are some very cool looking frames and were ahead of their time when they came out in 1973. The one draw back to these forerunners of BMX is that the size is too small for us grown-up kids. So what I've got planned for this build is to take an unmodified frame and scale it up with a longer swing arm and fork and add 24" wheels.

Here's a side by side comparison. I used a picture of an original bike that RatRod had built to create this rendering... (Just click on it if you can't see a full picture.)
moto-bikecomparison_zps6b67be29.jpg

That is going to look SWEET! I got the perfect set of wheels for something like that, I am using them on my klunker project if I ever finish it but they are 5 speed wheels from a ladies '80's Schwinn with Heavy duty spokes, fairly wide rim, and these wicked knobbys made by Kenda that came off a Huffy Mojave I had. I still need to clean them up but tell me these don't look motocross!

image-125.jpg

I like what I'm seeing.I like OldHead rodders like Gas Monkey Garage and I dig the Yahama Motobike idea in adult size too no less.
My insperation will be....
Cyclecart_zpsa528a917.gif

I have decided on this frame (1939 Colson) & the name will be "Blackjacked". Not sure yet what the finished product will be yet though. It will have to be in the anything goes category because powder coating (by me) will be involved.

PA310445.jpg

I like the name, can we assume that it will be powder coated in black? :p

pick said:
I have decided on this frame (1939 Colson) & the name will be "Blackjacked". Not sure yet what the finished product will be yet though. It will have to be in the anything goes category because powder coating (by me) will be involved.

PA310445.jpg

outskirtscustoms said:
Here's a little inspiration for you. A Yamaha dirtbike I sold last summer.
Newpics002.jpg

Those shocks look exactly like the ones that are on my frame!?!

100_4713_zpsbda077e4.jpg

The inspiration is from the YZ bikes from the 70's & early 80's more like this...

6076236201_6def4d2a74_o.jpg

Can you see it?

YZmoto-bike_zps713cdd1c.jpg

The Renaissance Man said:
I like the name, can we assume that it will be powder coated in black? :p

pick said:

PA310445.jpg

That's the plan for now, but you never know. The frame will be "tuscan matte black". The rest is still undecided.

Latest posts

Back